ibook G4 charge indicator

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macisback77, Dec 5, 2008.

1. macisback77 macrumors newbie

I have a question on the charge indicator on my wife's G4. Her DC in-board was acting flaky where it would alternate between charging and not charging every 5 minutes. I searched the internet and determined it was the DC in-board and I bought the part and swapped it out myself. I just replaced that in her laptop and it now doesn't do that...but I do have another question on the expected G4 behavior.

When the battery is running low with the lid open and I plug in the power cord it will turn orange to indicate it is charging. If I close the lid it stays orange and goes to sleep as expected. But if I then open the lid it will turn green for a couple minutes and then go to orange. Shouldn't it stay orange the whole time no matter if I take it out of sleep mode or not? My Macbook Pro stays orange once it is charging and doesn't stop until it is fully charged.

The reason it concerns me is I just replaced the battery on her laptop after the DC in-board issues described above. The constant charge/no charge made her battery only hold a 20 minute charge. It seems switching from charge to no-charge for the couple minutes after waking up would mess with the battery as well.

I reset her Power Management Unit thinking that would clear things up maybe and had no effect. Can someone confirm if her computer if behaving as it should.

Thanks in advance.

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

It seems the correct behaviour to me. Don't know exactly why it does that but my G4s also do that.