iBook G4 Closing Lid Issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iNash, Feb 2, 2009.

1. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Hi all,

About a year and a half ago I took my iBook to a hotel and was sitting on the end of the bed doing some work, I got up to grab a glass of wine and when I sat down (not thinking) I jumped onto the bed rather than sensibly sit slowly...

As you can guess, the iBook was right on the end of the bed and it bounced before falling onto the wooden floor! :eek:

The result was a bent charging tip (no biggie as it still works fine) and a twisted lid :mad:

This meant that to close the lid I had to 'twist' it as I closed it, to get the catches to drop together and lock, and the iBook didn't go to sleep anymore.

After 3 months of this I decided to just drop it off at a nearby approved repairer and £120 later that had sorted a crack at the joint and the lid closed perfectly.

However it would still never go to sleep :rolleyes: not really an issue as by this time it had been replaced and pretty much just sat plugged in and always on.

I have now started to take it into the office again but don't really want the hassle of running two chargers through the desk (and I don't use it enough to totally drain the battery in a day, but I would like it to sleep automatically.

Does anyone know if there is a quick win with this, or is it likely a damaged wire/sensor? (it's definatly not a setting) ;)

Cheers

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

This should have been something the authorized repairer should have diagnosed when you brought in the system. You can try a PMU reset (documented here), but I would bring it back to the service provider to have them give it a look over instead of fixing a cosmetic issue to the exterior case.