iBook G4 Cloudy Display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nickds, Mar 2, 2012.

1. nickds, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012

nickds macrumors newbie

Hello,

I dont know where I should post this or if iBooks are even discussed anymore but a friend of mine asked me if I could look at his. I havent a clue where to start really.

When you boot it first time from a cold boot you get the chime and the apple logo then a folder with a question mark, as he bought it faulty, I guess the HD has been wiped and no OS is installed so that is not a problem.

But after a few boots, like holding shift, or holding C to boot the restore disc the screen starts to go, only what I can describe as cloudy. White patches appear all over the screen and it slowly fades into just black and after that you cant get the Apple logo back until you leave it for a while, but you still get the chime so I guess it passed its hardware test.

When you can get it to boot from the restore CD it goes straight to a kernel panic saying it doesnt have drivers for a PowerBook 6,3 so I dont know if the restore discs are too new for this iBook G4.

Any ideas would be great!

Nick

[​IMG]

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

1. There's a dedicated PowerPC Mac forum in the main forums list, just for future reference.

2. See if your friend has an adapter (mini VGA) for an external display, or if you have one laying around. Try using an external display. If it works, then it is most likely the LCD itself that's bad. If it doesn't, then your GPU may be going bad, as the iBooks had a habit of failing GPUs.

3. Rather than using some restore disk, try using either a Leopard retail DVD to boot from. It will have all the proper drivers and boot you into an environment where you can run a few diagnostics and reinstall Mac OS X.

God luck!