ibook G4 crack in display bezel - worth having fixed

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Musicien83, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Musicien83 macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G4 1.42Ghz. A gap has been growing between the white display surroundings (and the lcd) for some time and now I have a small crack on the right hand side, right by the power cord, and the display only remains open when propped up - otherwise it's just floppy and one of the connections is bound to break before long.

From research on other sites, I gather what is needed is a new 'bezel brace'. This is a quite inexpensive part but a tricky one to fit I think, and I've been quoted wild amounts for repairs like 300 British pounds!!!!

The question: any thoughts whether it's worth actually having this repair done as the iBook is seeming quite an out-moded machine these days. + if anyone knows where I could get a cheaper repair, or has done such a repair themselves and can vouch that it is doable, please get in touch!

Thanks!

2. Andosia macrumors newbie

Andosia

It's quite easy, but takes time.

I'm probably too late considering when you posted this, but perhaps if my answer doesn't help you it will help someone else who comes upon it.

You can get the bezel easy enough. Like eBay or even here:
    http://mac.macrecycling.com/display-bezel-ibook-g4-14-p-100652.html
    You also will need a few inexpensive tools to do it yourself (see next link).

To replace it I highly recommend this step by step guide:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G4-14-Inch/I-O-Bezel/84/17/Page-1
    In fact ifixit is a great resource for repairs. I suggest bookmarking it ;)

I cracked mine twice. The first time I tripped with it (open, of course). It didn't take long to go from a small defect to a major problem to the point that I couldn't open it without causing the screen to flicker. I took it to Apple and paid $300 USD for repairs. The second time I didn't notice a crayon my 4 year old dropped inside the arm, closed it, noticing it immediately broke. I instantly recognised what was wrong having been the second time around. The second time it cost under $30 USD, done myself.

Honestly, very, very, easy. Best of luck :D

3. fit4him macrumors newbie

thanks everyone!

Ok, I found a very reputable local repair shop that will do it for $50 if I bring my own bezel.

I think I'd rather let them do it and pay the money. Seems pretty reasonable.

Thoughts?

Allen