IBOOK G4 Cracked Screen, External Monitor?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kungPOWadobo, Jul 25, 2009.

1. kungPOWadobo macrumors newbie

I was given an IBOOK G4. The problem is, that it has a cracked screen. Of course I won't be able to see anything. I'm just wondering, if I were to get a cable for an external monitor. Would It automatically show on the external monitor after plugging in the cable? Of course I won't be able to select "external monitor" since the screen is broken. How would I do it? is there a command I can do to make it go to external? please help would be appreciated! thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As the iBook G4 was only able to mirror its own display onto an external display, it will work just fine. But know, that the iBook as only a resolution of 1024x768.

There was a hack to use an external display to extend the desktop, but I'm not sure if it would work, if you main display is broken.
    It's called Screen Spanning Doctor.

3. kungPOWadobo thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, thanks for the help but my question wasnt exactly answered. so your saying ONCE i plug in the monitor it will detect it and automatically switch over?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes your external monitor will be detected, but it will only mirror the internal display and so it will be limited to a 1024x768 resolution as stated in my previous answer.