Ibook G4 dies after it reaches 40% battery life.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bassplayer1494, Aug 9, 2010.

1. bassplayer1494 macrumors member

im guessin that its most likely the battery, but i did buy a replacement charger for 5 dollars off of amazon so it could be the charger.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

4. drewdle macrumors regular

How many times has this happened? I found when I bought my iBook, the first time I ran down the battery I made it to 29% and then it died, second time around was 15-18%, third time was around 10%, etc. Now I can run it down to 3-2% before seeing a mandated shutdown. Of course, that doesn't mean I got all that battery life back, it just means the battery wasn't calibrated. I still only have 60-65% of the original capacity of the battery available, but after having run the battery down a half dozen times, I have a fully accurate battery meter.

Just a thought. Use CoconutBattery to find out how many cycles and how old the battery is. My battery only had 18 cycles on it but is 127 months old (10 years, woo!). Still runs for about two hours on a charge, which I think is insane. Standard life for a Li-Ion cell is 300 charge cycles.

5. SweetTater89 macrumors newbie

ibook g4 only charges up to 31%

i just bought an ibook g4 12" off ebay. i love it. but the battery only charges to 31% and then the power cord turns green and it stops charging.

any suggestions?

please help me. thanks!

6. SweetTater89 macrumors newbie

i did run down the battery a few times and it still remains at 31% battery life. and i don't know how to see how old the battery is.
    i'm new to this whole apple computer thing.
    any assistance you can give me would be great.
    and how do i update my software on this thing?
    i tried to plug in my ipod and the version of itunes i need for my ipod isn't on the ibook. but how do i get it to run on the ibook?

and any other information you can give me would be great :)

7. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Depending on the iPod and the specs of the iBook it probably won't work unless you are running leopard and iTunes 10...... A simple google search would tell you this.:cool:

8. SweetTater89 macrumors newbie

i'm sending my ibook back to the person i bought it from on ebay and saving up money from taxes to purchase a new macbook!
    thanks for all the advice you guys :)
    but i figure why have a computer that i can't use for what i need it for.
    but anywho thanks alot.
    i'm so excited about purchasing a new macbook :) my best friend has one and i know it is gonna be so worth it.