Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pammyspyce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Bay Area, Calif
I bought my mom an iBook G4 on eBay a few months back. It's been working great until a few days ago. Her screen... I want to say it flickers but that's not right. It's like the display gets a little brighter for a second or two and then goes back to normal. I know this isn't good. I don't have any of the orignial software. Is there a way to run a hardware test still? I'm hoping it's not a huge problem (like the logicboard is failing). Any idea what it could be and how I could fix it?

Thanks!

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
pammyspyce said:
I bought my mom an iBook G4 on eBay a few months back. It's been working great until a few days ago. Her screen... I want to say it flickers but that's not right. It's like the display gets a little brighter for a second or two and then goes back to normal. I know this isn't good. I don't have any of the orignial software. Is there a way to run a hardware test still? I'm hoping it's not a huge problem (like the logicboard is failing). Any idea what it could be and how I could fix it?

Thanks!

Is this "flickering" at all related to moving the display? If it is, then it could be a loose or damaged hinge cable, which will weaken from opening and closing the screen a lot.

pammyspyce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Bay Area, Calif
Yeah, it is related to movement. It flickers while on my lap but it did not flicker while sitting on the desk. I didn't even make that connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.