iBook G4 doesn't boot from firewire drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SunshineMellow, Dec 30, 2012.

1. SunshineMellow macrumors newbie

So I recently received an iBook G4, which has been fairing pretty well so far. It's a Mid-2005 model, 1.32 GHz, has Tiger installed, and I maxed out the RAM at 1.5 GB. The DVD drive as far as I know doesn't work (scared to try and test it), and I wanted to install Leopard. I picked up a 1 TB Western Digital My Book Studio so I could restore a Leopard retail disc dmg and then just install from there. Everything went well when restoring the dmg to a partition I made on the drive, but then when I choose that partition as my startup disc and restart the computer, it reboots with the flashing question mark proceeding to just boot back into Tiger. I've tried erasing the data on the partition and then restoring the image again, but still no luck. I'm really at a loss here as to what I'm doing wrong.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. SunshineMellow thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I made sure the drive was formatted using the Apple Partition Map and even formatted again just to make sure. I might try CarbonCopyCloner to clone the dmg just to see if it'll make a difference.

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Why not test the DVD drive. I believe they have force-ejects.

5. SunshineMellow thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so I just tried a DVD of the Avengers, and surprisingly it does work! This is actually pretty cool. I was just afraid of it swallowing of my disc without any return. The only funny thing is that because the drive can't push out the CD on its own, I have to tilt the iBook so that gravity will allow the disc to fall out. Now I just need burn the Leopard dmg to two DVD's? If you guys have a good tutorial on burning dmg's to a DVD, that would be awesome.

6. simsaladimbamba

7. SunshineMellow thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah okay thanks! I still wish I could figure out why the hell I can't boot from the external drive...

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have to do that with my Dual-Layer PowerBook. I got it used from eBay and it was dropped on the right corner.

I don't believe you need a DL Superdrive to burn a DMG. You do need one to burn a DL DVD though.

I have Toast 9, but I've found that burning DMGs is best left to Disk Utility, especially so when you are burning a DMG to a DL DVD. So, I'd give Disk Utility first shot at this.

9. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

It's likely to be the case that your WD drive doesn't support booting a PPC Mac. See my post in this previous thread and the linked support document from WD.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16163281&postcount=7

10. SunshineMellow thread starter macrumors newbie

Well crap! I have the My Book studio edition and it's listed as not bootable. Man I wish I would've known that before dropping $100 on it. It's pretty nice and all but yeah that's unfortunate. Thanks for the info.

11. California macrumors 68040

California

I have a good iBook superdrive if you need one. Yeah, the My Books don't boot. Try to return it.