iBook G4 - Dropped 2 years ago, shattered the graphics card. 800 dollars to repair!?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hamsterz, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Hamsterz macrumors member

So, we have a iBook G4 that was dropped on concrete (walking to the card :eek:) and when we sent it in, even though we had apple care, they said it would cost 800 dollars to repair! I was wondering if there was any DIY solution to this.

Im pretty sure now it has a broken harddrive, and tech support was wrong because they said that we had a broken backplate, but I can get a picture when booting from CD.

This will cost 45 bucks to repair, now I'm wondering how much ram is the max?

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

You would probably be best off waiting until after the 14th, and just replacing it.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'd be much better off spending that money on a new computer.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In terms of DIY solutions, the most cost expedient, if you really want to continue using an iBook G4, would be to buy a used one ($300-400) and sell the functional parts off yours to recoup costs.

But like everyone else, I'd suggest that you just upgrade to Intel. Or for that matter, if cost is prohibitive and OS X is less so, just get a netbook. That's an old computer... I was hanging onto mine and I ditched mine a year ago.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple Care never claims to cover accidental damage/abuse ... and Apple's charges for repair never are cheap.

If all you did was shatter the LCD screens you might try 3rd parties like

http://www.dttservice.com/ibookg4.html

which would replace the screen and/or logic board for less. Like $250.

For DIY, you might be able to cut it in half ... though if you dropped the machine and broke the display, you might need more than just the display, since the frame inside the display tends to break as well.

6. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

I already have a white macbook - I was just wondering if there was any easy way to repair it. And I meant car, not card :)

7. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

8. AndyBob09 macrumors newbie

If I were you, I'd just wait til Tuesday and buy a brand new one with much higher specs for around the same price.

9. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

To clear everything up, I already HAVE a white macbook :)

I just wanna get this working.

I have good news. Its not the graphics card, its the back plate of the display. It was working for a few minutes today, without a display, but it stopped working :(

10. thebeesknees macrumors regular

Maybe if you could run it headless and set it up to an old monitor?

11. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

It works fine.

One catch.

Theres no hard drive. Someone must have stolen it while it was in my dad's lab. It can only boot from an install CD, and theres nothing to install. I'm wondering if I can install Mac OS X on a portable harddrive, and boot from that? Thats why it was only booting occasionally.

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Sounds more like your hard drive failed. It takes about an hour to remove the hard drive. :)

What is all damaged? Is the case in bad shape or is it just the LCD?

13. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

Probably. Yeah, I guess its worth it :) For another machine.

14. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Well if it's just the hard drive and you're not afraid to replace it yourself, you're looking at a $50 repair. Definitely worth it! :)

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I highly doubt somebody stole the HDD. It takes quite some time to disassemble the G4 iBook far enough to get to the HDD, and quite a bit of tiny-tiny screw drivers. Sounds more like a dead HDD to me.

16. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

Ah, I think I found the problem.

Worse then just a normal fix.

The hardrive connector was destroyed.

Can boot from an external hard drive? If I cleaned it off and installed Tiger?

17. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

As long as it's a firewire hard drive, then yes you can install Tiger onto that external hard drive and run it like that.

18. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

19. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't notice its there. It just goes to the install CD apple stuck in it, and the install CD doesn't notice its there, either.