iBook G4 extra Hard drive???

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BlackiBook, Jan 8, 2009.

1. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Ok so I have a G4 iBook that I use as my play computer and my mod book... I just dyed the top case and the bottom case (also the battery cover) all black and I changed the apple to red! It looks really sweet and it matches my backpack... Ok well I just read about a guy that wants to take out his optical drive out and put another hard drive in, and my question is... Would that be possible with my iBook?!? It is a early 2004 ibook g4 1.07 GHz, 768 MB RAM, and a small 30 gig hard drive! I would love to add more hard drive space without having to go through the hassle of finding a way to transfer all of my data on this hard drive to another! Anybody have any ideas or information for me?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

250gb 5400 2.5" IDE hard drives cost about $70 new. You can buy a firewire enclosure for that for <$20. Put your new drive into the enclosure and download SuperDuper! to clone your existing hard drive to the new one in the enclosure. Try booting off of firewire(USB won't work) from it first to make sure you made a bootable clone. Once you did that, you can use the guide at iFixIt.com on how to change the hard drive in your iBook G4. Since you have it open, now's a good time to upgrade the optical drive too.

Good luck!

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

4. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Well those cases seem to be only for PCs!! I keep looking for those that will work with Macs but I cant seem to find them... Anybody know where I could find only or anyone know of a different way of pulling this hack off?? :confused:

5. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah that case is for a PC but should work in the Mac too. All it's doing is replacing the IDE optical drive or a IDE hard drive. The connector looks like your typical optical drive connector on any PC/Mac so it should work. But if anyone knows for sure why it will NOT work, chime in.