iBook G4 Hardware (?) Issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lewiguez, Oct 10, 2008.

1. lewiguez macrumors newbie

lewiguez

OK. I've got a tough one (for me, at least)...

I have an iBook G4 running 10.5. It's a 12" Late '04 model with the 1.2ghz processor and it has a stick of 512MB RAM, bringing its grand total to 768MB. In addition, it has 32MB of VRAM as part of the integrated graphics built into the logic board.

The problem: The computer will run fine for a couple of minutes. It will boot up OK, let me login and let me onto the desktop. Eventually, after a couple of minutes, it will suddenly freeze. The beachball will come up and then it'll go away and the entire computer will be frozen. I can't move the mouse, I can't type on the keyboard -- everything is frozen. The only way out of it is to reboot the machine.

What I Tried: I tried booting into safe mode, to no avail. I tried checking the logs and seeing what's going on in verbose bootup. It worked for a while in single-user mode so I thought it might a software issue with the OS installation. I decided that I was going to reinstall the OS again anyway, so I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Mac OS (Leopard).

Now, however, I can't get past the registration info on the setup assistant. I get to watch the opening video of the installation play (because it was successfully installed on the hard drive) and when I get to the textboxes to enter my info, the computer has the same freeze problem.

I wanted to completely rule out software, so I tried booting up from a Live CD of Ubuntu. This did not work also. I ended up hanging on initialization of the graphics. I tried taking out the stick of RAM and running the Live CD, but the same problem occurred.

I usually know what I'm doing when it comes to troubleshooting computers and fixing problems, but I'm honestly stumped. Does anyone have ANY ideas?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

After that exhaustive bit of investigation that you did it looks like it's probably the GPU.

I'd try it one more time without the additional RAM though.