iBook g4 help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dantheram, Aug 4, 2014.

1. dantheram macrumors newbie

I have a poorly g4 that has been discard for nearly 7 years! However, I been able to get it to boot by pressing down on the case but when it's running it's very unstable and the power mode keeps switching between battery (which holds no charge) and mains. When the mains is consistent I can get 5 mins out of the machine but as soon as it fails the laptop dies.

Clearly there is an issues with the power board but what is the solution? I just need it to stay alive long enough for me to export all the HDD data.

Any ideas?

2. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

You need to replace the DC-in board. It's fairly cheap, and easy to do unless your iBook was made before 2005.

3. dantheram thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think that's definitely it? The screen flashes (going from bat to mains) then it dies. After 2 or 3 boots the machine won't boot again for hours.

4. dantheram thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I have a workaround - the battery still seems to receive power as the charging light is flashing when connect to the mains. So, if I replace the battery with a new one I should bypass the dc board shouldn't I? Thus meaning I can use it for long enough to get my data exported.

Anyone in the know pls verify this.

Thanks

Dan

5. dantheram thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody reckon the above will work - only need it to stay on long enough to get my data #

6. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

You could probably just open the iBook and get a USB adaptor for your hard drive. Then, sell the iBook for parts on Ebay (Or the mac rumors market place).

7. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

He doesn't have access to the marketplace...

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

And, the iBook G4 is a little beast if you need to remove the hard drive.
    (much more involved than a MacBook, for example)
    If you have no interest in saving the iBook, and only want some files from the hard drive, then a dremel tool, with a cutting wheel will make quick work of removing the hard drive. And, you will then need an external enclosure or caddy that will have a laptop IDE interface.

9. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

10. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton