iBook G4 help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by midget, Sep 27, 2008.

1. midget macrumors member

My iBook recently at random times will just shut off and it takes for ever with me messing with the battery(taking out pressing button and hitting the power button) for it to work, my question is does anyone know what my problem is, I also have an after market power supply which sucks but it hasn't done this until recently and even then 3 times in the past month or 2(not sure when it first happened) but it's happened twice today the 2nd time was like 10mins after I got it back running, any help is appreciated thanks.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Do you have an iBook G3 or G4? It could possibly have nothing to do with your power supply or battery but very well be your logic board. Does the computer just completly power off or just the screen goes black?

3. midget thread starter macrumors member

Says G4 in the title, but it does both(black screen rarely) the shutting off is coming more often, also my battery seems to die or shut off quicker like it's not even getting charged.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The black screen typically means the logic board is going as described in this link.

Maybe you need to recalibrate the battery as it's charge is not reading correctly or is it dying with the battery in on AC Power.

Try resetting the PRAM as descibed here.

Just have to try to isolate the problem. It could be that your aftermarket powersupply is bad or your DC in board or the battery. It could be any combination of them too. Good luck.

5. midget thread starter macrumors member

It goes off even when the cord is plugged in.

6. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

When you're plugged in what icon shows in the menu bar, a battery or a plug in a battery. If it's showing a plug in a battery then more than likely it's your logic board going bad.