iBook G4 inop optical drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ristin, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Ristin macrumors newbie

800Mhz 256 ram OS X 10.3.9
    Insert a disk, the drive spins up, sounds like its reading, then stops. No icon on screen and can't eject disk using F-12 key. Show CD is enabled in Finder. Drive is listed in system profile. To eject the disk I have to reboot with option key pressed or boot to open rom. Eject CD works in open rom as does F-12 key when booting with option key pressed.
    typing df in a terminal window shows me
    /dev/disk0s9
    devfs
    rdesc
    <volfs>

This iBook was given to me and I was told the drive didn't work, but I have to try messing with it anyway. Drive is probably kaput but is there anyway this could be a software problem like missing drivers, device not mounting?
    I know next to nothing about apple computers. The last one I owned was a //c

Not knowing if this would even do anything, I typed
    mount /dev/cdrom
    and I get back
    mount: /dev/cdrom: unknown special file or file system.
    Anything else I can try or is it time for the 46 step process to replace the drive?

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Try a disk cleaner

A cd lens cleaner could fix it. Dirt on the lens can confuse the drive. If not time for replacement.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

My G5 tower had just stopped burning anything, so has my 2006 Intel iMac, and before that I had a 2007 MBP 15" that took three different optical drives being getting replaced. There used to be a joke amongst us Apple techs that there was a reason that the brand MAT*****A had ***** in its' name.

EDIT: oh come on MR.com, I even misspelled that word and you still comment it out. grumpygrumpy