iBook G4 internet issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ninelives1, Aug 8, 2010.

1. ninelives1 macrumors newbie

I have been using my ibook g4 to connect my xbox 360 to the internet. I have an ethernet cord connecting the two together. just recently, after doing this for months, my ibook will randomly disconnect from the internet. the computer's wifi signals say it's connected but nothing works including ichat, and safari. the internet on xbox also stops. i try resetting my computer and unplugging the ethernet, and the only thing that works is resetting our router. while my computer doesn't work everyone else in the house manages fine with the internet so i am lead to believe it is my computer

2. drmacpro macrumors newbie

Explain exactly how you have the iBook configured (System prefs, Sharing, Network?) What OS are you running? 10.4? 10.5?

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, thats happens to me a fair bit now too. I reckon its the router. My router is going on 5 years old, which may be why.

How old is your router? If its 5+ years old it may pay to get a replacment.

4. ninelives1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Running leopard. Using internet sharing to connect to xbox via ethernet capable.

Moderately new router which causes little or no problems for anyone else

5. drewdle macrumors regular

I do not suspect the computer, as the network connection appears to be present but you're not getting any content from it, which would be a server/router issue. Odd that nobody else experiences it however.

I would manually assign the XBox IP address and see how it goes. I used to have random connectivity issues in my old place before I manually assigned IPs to all the "appliance" network devices (game consoles, networked printers, everything except computers or iPods) and I assigned the addresses in a range that I knew I'd never use (the printer's end numbers are 140 for instance).

You have to manually assign an address using the Xbox software, not through the Mac. Your Mac should be passing all router duties along to the central router, as all the Mac is doing by sharing it's connection is making a tunnel for the Xbox to connect through.

Other things to check: anything added to the network recently? Xbox software update recently?

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009