iBook G4 joins the family

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iModFrenzy, Feb 5, 2016.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Unexpectedly I woke up to find out my school had been closed. Woo. Because today is the day my package was coming. Anyway to the topic.

It's an iBook 1.33ghz Dual USB Radeon 9550, 1.5gb ram. Seller also included the original charger with the extension piece for the block. Oh and battery as well. For $54(including shipping).

My first instinct was to re-install OS X, which I had numerous problems doing. I would normally pull out my MacBook and do it but I lent my friend my charger. After hours of screwing with my windows laptop, I realized I have a iMac in my room. I was so frustrated at that point but I restored and proceeded.

Stuck the USB in my iBook and booted through OF thanks to @LightBulbFun . Install loaded and installed leopard quickly, I got the combo update after which took about 30 minutes and finally finished. I've been using it for hours and absolutely love this laptop. Good size, speedy, and gives me no issues whatsoever.

Oh and it hasn't burned my lap at all :p

Incase you wanna see it:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

To add your own personal touch to it, take off the back cover and put something over the apple logo! I put the rainbow logo as a nice touch. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454731683.044520.jpg (had to go into my archives to find that photo :p )

3. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Does this require me to rip apart the entire iBook? I will definitely do this if it doesn't(as I don't have the screw drivers most likely, torx screws right?, and it's toooo much work for a piece of paper :p).

4. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Just remove the 4 screws (2 on each side) from the screen assembly, pull the lid off, then tape a picture over the apple cutout. I used a really small flathead screwdriver and was able to do it a'ok (glasses repair kit screw driver would be perfect). In torx, it's T9.

5. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Ah okay, sounds good. I'll try it in a bit.
    --
    [​IMG]
    Got a 3 hour drive tomorrow, COD & Battlefront should keep me occupied.

6. gooser macrumors 6502

interesting. i'm reading this from the exact same model ibook.

7. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I just noticed that he also has the same iBook as me! I forgot mine was a 1.33GHz Mid 05

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I've had mine for just over a year, and it remains my favorite PowerPC laptop. My 12" PowerBook G4 1.5 currently has a dead battery, but the battery in this iBook still holds a decent charge for the age and as a result it actually performs better. It also has 256 MB more onboard RAM.

I've thought about updating it to Leopard, but Tiger just seems right.
    iBook G4.png

9. gooser macrumors 6502

10. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Odd how they made the lower spec model better than the higher priced-spec model.

11. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Oddly enough I traded a 14inch 1.33GHZ ibook yesterday for a 550MHZ tibook. The ibook in question ran smoother in my opinion then my 12 inch Powerbook 1.5GHZ at certain tasks.

12. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yeah, I like the charm of mine, but you are right, something isn't smooth about it. Maybe the RAM, idk. Mine needs a new bottom pan and a new screw set, badly, along with another screen assembly. I just need to get a parts machine on the bay and call it a day. That being said, the form factor is GORGEOUS. Only thing that could remotely compare is an 11" MBA, as I wouldn't dare buy the new MB.

13. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

[​IMG]
    There we go! Beautiful!

I want to get the colors printed on something other than paper so it looks nicer in the dark and can glow better through the paper. Like the 4S kit.

14. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

That is one sharp looking logo. Excellent job.

15. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Man, now I want to get an Snow iBook just to do that. Awesome.

16. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Technically you can do this with any PowerBook, or even MacBook for that matter(excluding the rMB)

17. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Yeah, but it looks really great with the Snow white, and the iBook is the easiest to do this mod on, IIRC.