iBook G4 Keyboard issues.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by greenday123, Dec 1, 2008.

1. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Hi,

they keyboard on my iBook G4 has stopped working, none of the keys work, was there a recall on any of the keyboards on the iBooks by any chance? Perhaps i can get it replaced for free? Its out of warranty.

Its a 12 inch, late 2004 model, serial number is 4H515133S87.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The cable that plugs into the logic board can come loose - I saw it with unexpected frequency when I was repairing iBooks. Go to ifixit.com for instructions on how to take it off and have a look-see at the connection.

3. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its the keyboard for sure, i already checked the cable, it was it there properly, but just to be sure i put a working keyboard from a 14 inch in the 12 inch and it worked fine, so its definatly the keyboard, i would just leave the keyboard from the 14 inch in there but it doesnt fit properly :(

4. hodgjy macrumors 6502

When I bought my 12" iBook about 4 years ago, it had the infamous "sticky space bar issue." Or, whatever it was called. Basically, every now and then when I hit the space bar just the right way with my right thumb, it wouldn't register a signal. I complained enough and Apple sent me a replacement keyboard and told me to keep the old one.

You can have this old keyboard if you want for just the price of shipping. PM me if interested.