Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
I was just using my laptop, and I got up for a few minutes, and then heard a weird crunch. I came back to see a quarter-size black spot with at least 3 cracks in it. There are also vertical lines, and a white section at the bottom. Is this a normal thing, or is my iBook trying to kill me or something? Also, I bought a G3 ibook a few days ago, but it hasn't came in yet. Does anyone know if its lcd will be compatible? Right now, I just hope the G3 ibook comes tomorrow because I am going on vacation and have a science project to work on. Also, if the G3 lcd won't work, then what will?
Here's a pic
http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/f00thead/?action=view&current=P1012684.jpg

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
also, I have an old G3 (lombard) with a 14 " 10x7 screen. Is there any way to adapt that screen (even though my ibook is 12")

Spares

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
As for the temp. fix, just do your science project on it anyways, i mean the colour is off and there's a spot in the corner but I'm sure you can work around it just this once.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
it's your graphics card. not your screen. your screen is fine. replace the graphics card.

It is not the graphics card. It is clearly a broken display panel. That typically happens when the display is shut on something. I am sorry for your loss.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
It is not the graphics card. It is clearly a broken display panel. That typically happens when the display is shut on something. I am sorry for your loss.

It's just strange because the lid was open, and nothing touched it. It happened right as it went to screensaver. Is it possibly the computer that killed it?

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
It's just strange because the lid was open, and nothing touched it. It happened right as it went to screensaver. Is it possibly the computer that killed it?

In all of my years working with lcd panels I have never seen one just pop like that. I am not saying it could not happen as anything is possible but it certainly is not typical.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
okay, I checked, the plugs are different, but I can't afford a new LCD right now, so does anybody have the wiring diagrams for ibook, ibook G4, and lombard? thanks

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Yup

Happened to my macbook spontaneously, but Apple refused to cover it since "it looks like someone cracked it with their fingers or something"

BS.

Anyways, I paid for some service online that charged $300-500.

You might as well upgrade for twice that cost.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada

It is without a doubt your screen and definitely NOT the graphics card.

we're looking the same image, right? if the actual glass over the screen was damaged, and there were not vertical/horizontal lines, and if the OP actually dropped the macbook or closed the lid on something i would agree with you. this, however, is very typical of a busted graphics card.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
Yup

Happened to my macbook spontaneously, but Apple refused to cover it since "it looks like someone cracked it with their fingers or something"

BS.

Anyways, I paid for some service online that charged $300-500.

You might as well upgrade for twice that cost.

I'm not looking for apple to replace, it as I have voided my warranty many times over, and I am not looking to have someone else do it. I am trying to find out if I can replace it with something I have. BTW, when it broke, my laptop was incredibly hot, as it had been running all day, maybe this contributed to it somehow.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
we're looking the same image, right? if the actual glass over the screen was damaged, and there were not vertical/horizontal lines, and if the OP actually dropped the macbook or closed the lid on something i would agree with you. this, however, is very typical of a busted graphics card.

It's definitely the screen. I can see the cracks in the screen. Plus, if I touch the spot, more lines appear, and this is an iBook, so there is no glass over the screen.

Still no responses on the PB G3 or iBook G3 screen, though. Just so you know, it is the white G3, not the clamshell, and I have the 1.07 iBook G4 12"

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
It's definitely the screen. I can see the cracks in the screen. Plus, if I touch the spot, more lines appear, and this is an iBook, so there is no glass over the screen.

Still no responses on the PB G3 or iBook G3 screen, though. Just so you know, it is the white G3, not the clamshell, and I have the 1.07 iBook G4 12"

oh... in that case i'm defiantly incorrect :eek:... my apologies.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
Okay, I got the G3 ibook, but first decided to try and put it back together and fix it. I put it completely back together, and realized that it was the video problem. I shimmed it, and it now works perfectly.
Back to the problem- I took the top panel off the display, took out the display, and saw that it had the exact same connector. All I had to do was put it in place, and plug it in. It's actually brighter than the one from my G4.
Now there is another question-My new G3-I want to know if it is worth it to buy a new display to fix the G3. It currently has 192 MB RAM, 500 MHZ CPU, 6 GB HD,and a 100% dead battery. Right now, it has the display from my G4, but the crack has gotten much larger. I can get an LCD for $40, but I am trying not to spend money at the moment so I con buy a 24" iMac at the end of the summer.

Here's a pic of the G4 with the new LCD.
http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/f00thead/?action=view&current=CIMG0079.jpg
Here's a pic of the crack.
http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/f00thead/?action=view&current=CIMG0080.jpg

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
In all of my years working with lcd panels I have never seen one just pop like that. I am not saying it could not happen as anything is possible but it certainly is not typical.

Had it happen before and Toshiba had a recall because LCD's were cracking. It is not as uncommon as you think.

Sounds like the LCD to me as well.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
Had it happen before and Toshiba had a recall because LCD's were cracking. It is not as uncommon as you think.

Sounds like the LCD to me as well.

I think it's a toshiba LCD (or maybe Lg). Will they replace it since they put out a recall?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.