iBook G4 Mini-VGA to VGA Mirroring...is it Automatic from initial booting?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by corvaxmuzzy, Dec 8, 2011.

1. corvaxmuzzy macrumors newbie

corvaxmuzzy

Howdy,

This is my first experience ever with a G4 iBook.

Short version:
    ---------------
    My LCD screen is no good. Is the Mini-VGA port ALWAYS outputting a signal? Can I re-install OS X & just convert it into a desktop unit without EVER being able to see the LCD?

Long version:
    ---------------
    I am now the new-ish owner of a G4 iBook. The model number is not legible. "A1..." something, as far as I can see.

The LCD is smashed.

Since the unit appears to work otherwise, I was going to convert the laptop into a desktop. I have purchased an Apple Mini-VGA to VGA adapter for the iBook (I found it on eBay - new for $6.24, shipped). The adapter will not be here for at least another week. When I get it, can I just forget about the LCD & use the adapter? Are there "function" buttons to make this work? Is the Mini-VGA port only "live" after booting into OS X?

I know that the unit is a bit antiquated, but I was just going to use it for fun, file-serving, PPC *nix, and/or toy for the nieces. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little excited.

Thanks ahead of time,

Jaime

2. corvaxmuzzy thread starter macrumors newbie

corvaxmuzzy

Does anyone know if I can just use an external screen for everything, from initial boot (so that I can (re)install 10.5.6)?

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

yep, works fine with the external used for everything. external screen might take a second or two extra to light up, but have one doing the very same thing here. nice quiet desktop with a built in keyboard!

if you decide to remove the lcd, make sure you take the ibook apart and remove the cables from the logic board (unplug). saw one where someone had decided to just cut the cables... shorted out everything. :eek: bad idea.

best of luck.

4. corvaxmuzzy thread starter macrumors newbie

corvaxmuzzy

Thank you for the reply.

I have had no luck. I plugged the mini-VGA to VGA plug into the iBook & my monitor. No signal. What could I be doing wrong?

5. corvaxmuzzy thread starter macrumors newbie

corvaxmuzzy

4JNA,

Does your external VGA come on only after it logs into OS X? What is/your experience with the external?

6. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

I don't know in Ibooks but from what I've seen on a macbook if you have the macbook screen closed it will show image from initial booting, otherwise only in osx.

7. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

All iBooks can only and will allways do mirror mode !!

Well unless you install some 3rd-party hack that disables this apple-imposed limitation (AFAIK by altering some OF-variable). You will then be able to use internal and external display as strechted desktop.

If such a hack is installed and you try booting into an installed OSX you should see a more or less blank screen.

If you boot from DVD or just into OF you should see the same on both displays.

Might be that the broken LCD somehow influence the Mini-VGA to not showing anything (in worst case by shorting some signal/power pins).