iBook G4 No Chime or Boot

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Hey Everyone!

I recently upgraded my iBook G4 12in 1.07GHz to have a SuperDrive. Before I installed the bottom case, everything was fine. After I put the case on, the computer refuses to boot or even give me a chime. The only signs of life are the SuperDrive spinning a little bit and the green charge light. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hey Everyone!

I recently upgraded my iBook G4 12in 1.07GHz to have a SuperDrive. Before I installed the bottom case, everything was fine. After I put the case on, the computer refuses to boot or even give me a chime. The only signs of life are the SuperDrive spinning a little bit and the green charge light. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you everyone!

PMU reset?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I HATH BEEN SUMMONED MY THY NAME. *Puts cheese hat on Altemose*

I'm surprised you didn't suggest a dead PRAM battery. Must finally be sinking in that iBooks don't have those. Have you tried disassembling the machine and verifying all connections as well as trying a PRAM reset? Press the PRAM reset keys on the keyboard for 60 seconds. If you don't hear the chime at least once, something else is wrong.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012

I'm surprised you didn't suggest a dead PRAM battery. Must finally be sinking in that iBooks don't have those. Have you tried disassembling the machine and verifying all connections as well as trying a PRAM reset? Press the PRAM reset keys on the keyboard for 60 seconds. If you don't hear the chime at least once, something else is wrong.
I guess something else is wrong.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

I am getting smarter!

I guess something else is wrong.
Does the display flicker at all?

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
I am going to count my losses and just sell it not eBay. I didn't know about the vreg issues with the iBook G4. I am thinking about buying a PowerBook G4 to replace it. Does anyone know of such a major flaw with the PowerBooks?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The 12" Powerbooks are rather stable. They're biggest problem is burning out the GPU due to covering the side air intake vent. You may want to avoid the 867Mhz model if possible. It runs hotter than the 1Ghz+ models, doesn't have CoreImage, and only has mini-VGA out.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
The 12" Powerbooks are rather stable. They're biggest problem is burning out the GPU due to covering the side air intake vent. You may want to avoid the 867Mhz model if possible. It runs hotter than the 1Ghz+ models, doesn't have CoreImage, and only has mini-VGA out.
I am looking at a 1.25MHz 15in. Do you know of any flaws? Thanks for all the help Intell.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks Intell, I guess I know what computer I am hunting for now.
I have one more question that I don't think requires a new thread. Will 800 MHz PC2-6400S RAM on PowerBooks? I heard that higher specced RAM works on lower specced machine, but I am not sure.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Possibly, but only in the last model Powerbook with the high resolution screen and dual layer DVD drive as that is the only model that will take DDR2 memory.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Possibly, but only in the last model Powerbook with the high resolution screen and dual layer DVD drive as that is the only model that will take DDR2 memory.
Okay, thanks Intell.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
It largely effects only one ram slot.
I'm about to buy a 15" PowerBook G4 that is in almost perfect condition, except it has that issue. Can I use a 2 GB DDR2 memory module on this one slot, or is 1 GByte the maximum for each memory bank and I'll be stuck with that?

Does anyone know of a good site or video that explains how to fix this soldering problem?

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I'm about to buy a 15" PowerBook G4 that is in almost perfect condition, except it has that issue. Can I use a 2 GB DDR2 memory module on this one slot, or is 1 GByte the maximum for each memory bank and I'll be stuck with that?

Does anyone know of a good site or video that explains how to fix this soldering problem?
Only the last model PowerBook G4(the one from late '05, 1.67GHz Hi-Res Screen, with the Double-Layer SuperDrive) use DDR2 RAM, this issue has been brought up before, a user reported that he used a single 2GB stick in his DLSD PowerBook. I have 2x 1GB sticks in mine, and logic boards for PowerBooks are running relatively cheap nowdays.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Thank you. It's the 1.5 GHz A1106 with 15" display. So I'll have to stick to 333 MHz DDR.

It's from the original owner, though -- all parts original, and box included. Battery and casing are in almost perfect condition, as the owners almost solely used it plugged in on their desk.

I'll see how it works with 1 GB and then decide on the logic board replacement. It's more or less a collectors item anyway, as I think this is the best looking notebook ever created.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.