iBook G4 not reading DVDs/ will read CDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mwn526, Aug 19, 2010.

1. mwn526 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Our iBook G4 won't recognize DVDs. It reads CDs fine, and I just upgraded the OS to Tiger and it read that DVD as well. However, when inserting a regular DVD (movie, etc., original copy, not burned) it says "this disc contains no volumes recognized by OS". I reinstalled the original OS and software, upgraded to Tiger and have reset the computer and checked the system preferences to make sure it wasn't set to ignore DVDs. The player worked in the past, not sure what is going on.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

2. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

Maybe there is problem with the Dvd itself. Have you tried others. I could be drive. Or try another DVD player such as VLC on the mac you have to download an older version.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Also take a look at Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities / System Profiler > Hardware > ATA > optical drive (the HDD will be listed there too) and maybe post the information here via a screenshot.

[​IMG]

Taking screenshots in Mac OS X.

Btw, Tiger was distributed on CDs too, thus your Tiger installation medium might be a CD instead of a DVD.

Anyway, every G4 iBook came with a Combo-drive as standard. Did you or someone else replace it at some time in the past?

Bottom of CD

[​IMG]

Bottom of DVD​

[​IMG]