ibook G4 not responding?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CreativeCrayon, Mar 13, 2011.

1. CreativeCrayon macrumors newbie

CreativeCrayon

hey guys, i would like to ask all the apple techys out there if they can help me out with this ibook G4, the problem is, i turn it on and the screen is black, it does have an apple chime and i do notice that the caps lock light and num lock light does work. but it does nothing else, i have checked the brightness on the screen, that cant be it. a few weeks before this it randomly kernal task falured after being loged in for about a minute. and then it didnt boot and said in couldnt find the HDD and i dont really know what to do now. is this a kernal problem? my specs for the ibook are, 1.33ghz PPC G4 40GB HDD 12". thanks for all the help. :)

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Could be the HDD has died. You might try booting from the install DVD to see if it will do that. There's a sticky (I think) about what to do when your mac won't boot.

3. CreativeCrayon thread starter macrumors newbie

CreativeCrayon

lol yeah, so the thing is. i bought this mac on ebay in 2008 i think, it came with leopard preinstalled and it did not come with restore disks or install disks, so i think im stuck getting a new hard drive and a leopard disk....

4. CreativeCrayon thread starter macrumors newbie

CreativeCrayon

oh on second thought, i do have an external hard drive with my time machine stuff on it, could i some how boot from that?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Time machine backups are not bootable. You would need to reinstall osx one way or another then restore the backup.