ibook g4 not verifying seagate freeagent pro 500 GB harddrive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by askettius, Jan 13, 2009.

1. askettius macrumors newbie

askettius

hey guys, i am new to this forum and everybody seams nice, but i have come over a problem, my ibook g4 1.33ghz, 512 ram, 40 GB harddrive, 12.1 inch runing leopard 10.5.6. is now not verifying my external harddrive i have a seagate freeagent pro 500 GB. it was working fine for almost a half of a year. i know that the harddrive has a 5 year worinty but i dont want to lose all my stuff on the harddrive because i have most of my stuff on there like all of my photography stuff. and it asks me if i want to verify the drive or repair the drive and i tryed both of them and it says it failed both so then its telling me to back all of the files up and erase the disk and i dont have anywere to put all my files because the internal 40 GB harddrive isnt enough space to back it all up. so what i would like to know if there is another way to do this ? thanks for all the help guys :apple:

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. askettius thread starter macrumors newbie

askettius

no ween i plug the firewire in it says "disk insertion, the disk you inserted was not readable bye this computer" and then it gives me three options, initialize..., ignore and eject, ween i sulect initialize then it takes me to disk utility and then theres first aid and thats if i want to repair or verify and then it fails at that, then theres erase, and partition, RAID, restore and i have not done anything else i mite try restore but i am not shore what to do at that stage.. ween i sulect ignore it doesnt do anything to the sitchuashon so its like the same thing as ejecting it. thanks for the help

4. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

Please learn to spell. It's hard as hell to figure out what you're saying.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

This please.

6. askettius thread starter macrumors newbie

askettius

sorry about the spelling i am not to good at spelling but i will try harder than i did before lol i guess it was that odvious sorry again :apple:

7. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Have you tried re formatting the disk? if not im not sure what could be happening..but as for your spelling i can understand it fine lol

8. askettius thread starter macrumors newbie

askettius

ok im going to try re formating it thanks for the help guys i hope something good happens :apple:

9. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Ah reformat is not the best idea if you want to keep the data. Of course you can try reformating then recovering it but that seems like a load of pain and will not guarantee success...

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You'll lose everything on it if you re-format.

11. askettius thread starter macrumors newbie

askettius

hey guys. i lost everything i know you guys told me but i could not find out another way. so the big problem is my photos... i got almost half of them back because i just remembered that i put about half of them on a flash drive. and i put all of my photos on my 3G ipod nano 8GB, the problem is i cant find out how to get them off of the ipod. does anybody know how to get photos off of an ipod? thanks for all the help guys i am really greatful :apple: