iBook G4 or Acer Aspire One?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by airjuggernaut, Aug 9, 2008.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone.

Alright, well I'm finally decided on getting a secondary computer to be my internet/school work/glorified hardrive machine. I don't need something that has immense power because I already have a nice iMac for that. Basically I just need a machine which I can use if i'm away from my iMac and that I don't have to worry about getting lost or dammaged.
    Now I have two choices.

1. Get a 12" 1.2ghz iBook G4 with a 40gb hard drive for around $250 from a friend

or

2. Buy a brand new 8.9" Acer Aspire One that has 1.6ghz Intel Atom chip, can run Windows(I don't have a problem with windows so it's a non issue) and Mac OSX (Yes,yes it breaks Apples EULA, I'm quite aware) and it will run me about $350 but has a 120gb hard drive and is a new machine

LINK

Now I do expect to be able to launch iMovie and Final Cut Express once in a while to do some quick editing here and there for my comm tech class and other extra curricular activites at school.

So I'm just wondering, which one should I go for? The Brand spankin' new Acer or the old used iBook G4?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

How do I put this..if it is essential to have a Mac, get the iBook.

IF you can run Windows with no problem, get the Acer.

I had to get a PowerBook because I needed Final Cut Studio and I can't let go of OS X.

3. NextTuesday macrumors member

Honestly.

Both of those are quite crap for what you want to do. That Acer is really designed for browsing the web, e-mail, YouTube. While the Atom is essentially a single-core version of the processor in the MacBook Air, its not powerful enough for running iMovie and FCE at the same time.

The iBook is going to become very antiquated when Snow Leopard comes out, the PPC processors will no longer be supported.

If I were you I'd check used or refurbished MacBooks, which would be better suited for what you want to do, they may be more costly, but in the long run they're much speedier and will last much longer than the iBook.