iBook G4 (Possibly without a heat shield). Worth the money?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AMBPNewbie, Dec 10, 2011.

1. AMBPNewbie macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! Hopefully this is in the right place, but if not, I apologise. I'm still new to all of this! I'm really hoping that some of you might be able to answer a question that I've got, concerning the iBook G4. It's a machine that I've always wanted to own. I know that it's getting a little bit dated in the Flash dominated internet of 2011 (and beyond...), but there's something romantic about it, I think. Anyway...

I've been using a really dreadful HP 550 for the last couple of years. Doing some renovation work on my apartment last weekend, I dropped a heavy door on it, shattering the case and screen. Still, at least it gave me the excuse I needed to take my Mac lust to the next stage! There's an opportunity to get hold of a 1.33Ghz iBook G4 for €30. It will need a hard drive and a new keyboard, but that wouldn't be a problem.

The thing that concerns me the most, though, is that it's missing the back cover. Now, I have the plastic part to cover the back (thank you, younger brother!), but it looks as if the machine is missing the heat shield on the bottom. Hopefully you will understand what I mean! This will probably be the dumbest question ever asked on this site, but how vital is that? Would it be possible to fashion a new one from the shattered remains of the HP or is it a waste of time and money?

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren