iBook G4 Problem to Boot to Mac OS X Leopard DVD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by imthebestcool, Mar 4, 2012.

1. imthebestcool macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone!
    I have an old iBook G4, and i recently found my Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD, i saw couple of things on the internet that say that I can install it on my iBook G4 14'' Inch. I put my Leopard DVD in my Drive, Everything is find, it ask me if i want to reboot to pop up the Mac OS X Leopard install, i say okkay, My iBook restart and it boot from the DVD but it stuck on the Apple logo with the loading sign, I now it's booting from the DVD, if not Tiger take 10 secs to open, but impossible to select the language and all that stuff. Yes my ibook have what it need to install it, 1.23 GHz processor and 875 MB of RAM. I need Help!

Thanks !!!!

2. pistooli macrumors regular

Sounds like a bad or not correct install media. Is it a retail install disc?

What it worth, I reinstalled Leopard on my iBook (in my sig) from a firewire iPod, where I restored the Leopard install, so not from the DVD itself. But selected the boot volume with pressing and holding the option key.

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

providing it's retail dvd (not grey resore dvd)

try putting dvd into drive and turning off
    now try holding down letter c and wait till it boots
    if thats doesn't work,try from cold boot holding down "option" key and wait till it boots and then select dvd drive.....

4. imthebestcool thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to boot with the option key and the letter 'C' but it's always the same things! I let it work during 8 Hours and i stopped it I was still with the boot logo and the loading sign, Yes it's the real Max OS X Leopard Retail DVD not a grey one, It worked one time!! It asked me to choose my language but the computer frozen, my mouse wasn't there so i tried to boot again and still nothing, it worked one time so i know the CD is good, My iBook G4 can't boot on a USB Drive execpt if i type some code, Can someone tell me what's the code or what i can do with my Install DVD cause now, I'm still running Tiger....

Thanks

5. imthebestcool thread starter macrumors newbie

I Got It!!

I fixed it! I Ripped My Leopard DVD into an .DMG, I restored it on an USB Drive, i partitioned my iBook G4 drive and i restored my USb Drive to my second partition on My iBook, After that i booted up on my Mac OS X Dvd Mounted on my Second partition!

6. Emptbttles macrumors newbie

You just put an end to my hours oF hopeless searching on how too boot g4 from USB. Thankfully I had the original 10.3.9 disk I could use too run disk utility, copied the leopard .DMG from the USB, to my partitioned internal, and was able too boot nd install. Thanks man. Got my computer looking pretty again. Cheers

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iBooks, like most PowerPC Macs, can boot from USB devices very easily. Just plug the device in and restart while holding down Option. Select the device and boot from it. The device must be one partition formatted with HFS+, contain a bootable Mac OS that will work on the target machine, and be an AMP partition type. If booting into OS 9, the OS 9 drivers must be installed.