Ibook g4 problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by crazynorwegian, Nov 27, 2007.

1. crazynorwegian macrumors newbie

about a week ago I was watching some video's on youtube, when all of a sudden my mac froze. a simple reset and the computer started booting fine but as soon as it got the the part where it starts to load the os it just stopped on that kinda blank blueish screen. restarted a few more times and the same thing. so I then tried to boot off of a external firewire drive with leopard loaded on it and it still did the same thing. I then gave up for about 30 min tried again and it did work but froze about 15 min later. so then I completely re-installed the os and after reboot it went to the same blueish screen. at that point I thought it may be a heat related problem. so letting it cool over night I can use the computer for about 15 min before it freezes. putting the laptop in the fridge for about 30 min I can get about an hour out of it. the computer doesn't see to be getting hot at all. nor am I straining it that much. the fan is not coming on and its really only come on a few times in the computers life when I'm really working it. this thing has been good to me for almost 4 years now except a keyboard which was covered by apple care. Any thoughts on why its doing this? worth fixing? or should I just accept the computers death

2. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Ibook g4 problem

If putting the PowerBook in the freezer worked. I'd have to say it sounds like your HDD is about to turn heels up.

Do you have a recent backup?

If not. Run, get an external HDD. Hopefully the PB will run long enough so you can copy important files off to the external HDD. Check out macsales.com

Then you'll need to buy another HDD to replace the bad boy now in the PB.

Doing the installation is pretty simple. I have close to zero mechanical handiness and I was able to it.

Google and you will find step by step instructions on the web.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Its an iBook, not a Powerbook Joe.

Either way, replacing a HDD in an iBook is no walk in the park. I have not done it, but the tutorials I've read regarding such an install generally say it is not an easy job.

As for putting the computer in the fridge, not sure why you're doing that. Cause you think it's overheating? Anyway if you want to do that then I can't stop you. It won't fix it.

Complete screen lock ups can be attributed to hard drive failure, so I would agree with buying an external drive to backup your drive. Good luck.
    What kind of iBook is it anyway (how old, processor, etc.)?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Are you sure? 20-30 minutes of use, from an otherwise dead HD, could give you enough time to pull off some important data...

5. crazynorwegian thread starter macrumors newbie

it wont even boot off an external drive after about 15 min of use. i thought it would boot off of one even if my internal harddrive is not working. the computer doesn't really get hot itself, it just stops working after 15-30 min of use. cooling the computer before use doubles that time