iBook G4 Questions: RAM

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aapl.jlo, Jul 5, 2008.

1. aapl.jlo macrumors member

aapl.jlo

I just recently bought myself an iBook G4, 1.0 Ghz, 256 RAM, with a 12" screen. I am mainly going to be using it for typing since I do A LOT of writing. Still, on the side, I do a good deal of editing photos and I like to use low key designing programs like the AppleWorks Draw and Microsoft Publisher--but I probably won't be using that since it costs too much to get Office 2008.

So as you can read, I'm not going to be the one to go out and do hard core video editing, well, other than claymations which I using iStopMotion which uses very little power. Do you think that I will need to upgrade my RAM? It's just that my eMac was running 256 RAM with a 1.2 Ghz processor and I really didn't feel the lag.

Just want a little input so I have some feeling of what I might have to save up for while the iBook is getting shipped in. Thanks!

2. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Max the RAM and your iBook will come alive! :D The difference is significant.

3. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

i'm on a 1.42GHz iBook G4 with 1GB RAM and it's great. sure, i'd love to have it maxed with 1.5GB RAM, but it performs great. for what you want to do, you would definitely notice a difference and be very happy with maxing out your RAM.

similarly, i have a friend with a 1.2GHz 12" PowerBook with only 256MB RAM and he was fine, but he definitely noticed the difference when i maxed it to 1.25GB RAM and he's extremely happy with it.

4. jcoop macrumors member

If you're going to do any photo editing, or if you're going to ever open more than one program at once, I think you'd do well to increase the RAM. I recently took a 12" iBook G4/1.33 on a trip with me (wanted to take something small, light, and less than mission-critical in case anything happened to it). It has 512 MB of RAM, and editing in iPhoto 6 was very slow--much, much slower than on my old Powerbook G4/1.5, which had 1.25 GB of RAM. Given that the differences between the two machines aren't all that great, I tend to think that most of the slowdown I saw was due to inadequate RAM. (I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to up the RAM on a machine I don't use that much).

5. nater. macrumors member

I have an iBook 1.2 12" as well. Only has 512 ram in it right now. Been wondering if it would be beneficial to upgrade the memory... this thread is some good evidence. Sweet - thanks!