Ibook G4 ram updated but seem no difference....

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by julienlefebvre1, Dec 30, 2008.

1. julienlefebvre1 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have a Ibook G4 1.33 Ghz PowerPc os x 10.4.11 with 512 mb of ram and i buy a 1 gb ram and put it into so now 1.5 Gb ddr sdram but i dont see major difference is there something i can do or its just because this computer is now too old...... :(

thanks

Julien

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

You may not notice a major difference unless you are doing something that is RAM intense like stuff on Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, GarageBand, iMovie. Did you check "About This Mac" to make sure the new RAM is in the slot all the way and that the computer "sees" it?

3. julienlefebvre1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes in 'about' the ram is in slot and ok , im frequently using music appz like ableton, reaktor , traktor, but never seen a distinctive difference is there a way to make this Ibook faster in general? :confused:

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

There's not much you can do with 1.3 GHz. Do you notice less lagging in your music apps if there was any before? Is the RAM you put in matching? Putting in RAM that isn't the sam age and model can lead to problems.

5. julienlefebvre1 thread starter macrumors newbie

the 1gb slot
    if remember but not sure its kingston...ill have to open computer to check
    DIMM1/J7:

Size: 1 GB
    Type: DDR SDRAM
    Speed: PC2700U-25330

i maybe see a little difference but nothing crazy

6. California macrumors 68040

California

If you are using the original 40 gig 4200rpm hard drive, you have a very very very slow hard drive.

Open it up and put in either a 100 gig 7200 rpm hard drive or the biggest ata hard drive made, the western digital 5400rom 250 gig drive.

I had both and the larger drive makes up for the speed because the larger platters make hard drive almost as fast as the 100 gig 7200 drive.

If you are really ambitious, you can drop in a UJ846 or UJ847 dual layer dvd/cd burner instead of the stock cdr/dvd rom drive.

Max it out with the ram and the hard drive and you have a much faster better machine. Love that model you have.

7. julienlefebvre1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks its a very good idea you have, I will shop for this

thank you :apple:

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Computer is too old. Don't look for a miracle with changing the HDD. You're not going to achieve anything life changing with that machine anymore.
    (trust me, I have that computer)

9. California macrumors 68040

California

As the Western Digital 250 gig ata-6 hd is now only 79 bucks on newegg and he can get a new superdrive for around 50 bucks, and ram is cheap too, it is a good upgrade.

If he doesn't like the upgrade, he can take out his new components and put back the originals and sell the machine. I think it's worth a shot on an ibook that takes 1.5gigs of ram. It makes a difference,that amount of ram and a faster hard drive.

I was doing okay on my 12" Powerbook with Leopard and 1.25 gigs of ram. That 256mb of ram on the iBook makes a difference as the CPUs are nearly identical.

One thing he should do is disable Dashboard. It sucks a lot of CPU.