iBook G4 - Right Click using two fingers?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RZetlin, Nov 9, 2007.

1. RZetlin macrumors regular

RZetlin

On my Macbook I can right click using two fingers on trackpad.

Is it possible to use the same technique with my iBook 1.33 Mhz G4?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not that I know of, but there is a program called SideTrack which gives you the option of using different corners of your trackpad as different mouse buttons (they say it gives you the ability to emulate up to a six button mouse, when you include the center of the trackpad and the trackpad button). My dad used it and loved it on his iBook, mostly for the side scrolling it was intended for, but it seems to work well. Doesn't work with Leopard yet, though, so if you've updated you'll have to wait a bit.

jW

3. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I haven't used it, but can something be done with iScroll2?

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The function only works on newer machines, but Sidetrack as previously mentioned was a popular choice before it was officially supported by Apple.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

iScroll2 is awesome. I installed it on my iBook G4 a while ago and I can't believe I lived without it.

The only weirdness with it: when you first power-up your iBook, the 2-finger scrolling will be very jumpy. What I found, was that if you put the iBook to sleep for a few seconds and then open it up again, the 2-finger scrolling works perfectly.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

7. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Works in Leopard in the last generation of iBooks only. The 1.33GHz 12" and I believe the 1.42Ghz 14".

8. squarekat macrumors newbie

like everyone stated, it depends on which ibook you have and when it was released.

the late 2004 ibooks and before you can use iscroll2 0.29 with leopard. you get two finger scroll with a quirky way to right click.its still a little buggy about loading but you can go through the iscroll forums and lean how to fix it. it runs fine on my 1.33ghz 14" ibook(late 2004) now.

http://iscroll2.sourceforge.net/#status

also for right click, you can use one finger snap instead, just hold down the click button for 0.5 secs and you get right click. this also works for the regular one button mac mice. i also like this solution better than the right click solution in iscroll2.

http://www.old-jewel.com/onefingersnap/index.html

i use two together to get both two finger scroll and right clicking. they work great together on leopard and i have total control over my trackpad like having a 3button mouse.

now if you have the last edition of the ibook (mid 2005) i believe if you install leopard it will allow for you to have two finger scroll as a default.
    it seems like apple changed the trackpad between 2004 and 2005 versions.
    and iscroll2 will not install on the 2005 ibooks. i am not sure about two finger tapping. if it doesnt work i am sure you can isntall one finger snap.

good luck

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Apple did change the trackpads for the last iBook revision. It's the only model that allows for two-finger scrolling if I recall right.

10. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I think the last rev. did have 2 finger scrolling

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It does, I'm using it.