IBook g4 running 10.5 slow?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by adcx64, Apr 10, 2011.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Hi ,
    I am thinking about updating my iBook g4 to os 10.5. It has a 1.33 ghz processor. And 1 GB RAM with a 40 gig hard drive. Do you think os 10 will run slow?

2. crammedberry macrumors regular

crammedberry

It should run OS 10.5 just fine.. as long as you aren't expecting it to beat 12 core Mac Pros you should be good.

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

It'll run it with ease - my 1.67 PowerBook ran it fine with 512MB RAM, and plenty of 1.33Ghz users I know had it on 512MB at first, and it ran just fine in that config - the only thing you may notice is a slightly slower boot.

4. jchase2057 macrumors regular

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Runs excellent on my 12" Powerbook (which I'm using right now) at 1.5GHz and 1.25GB of RAM. Granted, my Powerbook does have an advantage in the graphics chip department, but I would have no reservations on running Leopard on that iBook.

6. cyberghoser1, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

I don't see why you should'nt, mine is a 800mhz G4 iBook with 1.12GB Ram and it runs very well, i don't have core image support but your model should have it so overall you will enjoy Leopard.

7. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

As long as your card supports Core Image via Hardware, you'll fly in Leopard.

8. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

True, however mine does not support it but i really see that Leopard is running well on my machine.

9. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

When I had my iBook (1Ghz, 768mb Ram? I think), it would run okay in Leopard but the graphics would be horrendous. The dock and dragging icons around would have like white outlines, graphic issues and such. I'm surprised yours runs as well as it does, as I got these white graphic issues in my PM G4 933mHz with stock video.

10. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

When i was running at 640mb i could see some or even all of what you're saying, once upgraded to 1.12GB Ram its much much better overall.

11. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Really? Got to order myself some RAM then :D I'm rocking 1GB on my G4/933 so maybe anything over is the sweet spot.

12. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Yeah always put the maximum ram on your ibook/powerbook it just get better i saw instant boost from 640mb.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I ran 10.5 on a similar Mac(as far a specs and form factor...it was the 12'' model, so a few things might be different, not sure if suer has a 12'' or 14'' model...the 12'' was a generation after the 14'')

Everything ran quite well....there was even a time I went a replaced my iMac G5 with it(I later went back due to not having an external display to pair with it)

If you can, upgrading the HDD to an SSD would no doubt be a great help! As would more RAM, although I'm not sure if the computer supports 2GB(I recall Apple laptops having 256MB of RAM on the mother board and one upgradable slot....but I'm not sure this laptop has that, because how would you get to 1GB?)

The advantage of the SDD is assume you buy the correct kind, there is a possibility that you could use it in a future Mac(or PC). Disadvantage is you might need a converter to use it on the iBook though(Apple may have switched their HDD connected...not sure where they were during the time of the iBook being sold by them)

14. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

The iBook has an ati mobility 9550 chip, does that support core image?

15. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Yeah it has Core Image support

16. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Thanks a lot guys, I'm looking forward to Leopard.:apple:

17. G-Force macrumors 6502a

I've installed Leopard last week on my iBook G4 (1.33 GHz, 768MB RAM, stock 40GB hard drive) but it's quite sluggish from time to time. I guess that has something to do with the low amount of RAM and the slow 4200 rpm hard drive.

Well, I reinstalled Tiger today and it runs much better. I only use it for some browsing and mail, sometimes word processing in Pages and MSN with Adium. Tiger still handles those things fine for me. :)

So if you want Leopard, max the RAM and if possible, get a faster 5400/7200 rpm hard drive for best performance.