iBook G4 screen size

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mac.doc, Dec 11, 2008.

1. mac.doc macrumors newbie

My sister gave me her old iBook G4 and it appears to have a busted screen. How do i go about replacing it? I don't even know what size it is or how much it would cost. If you can help me please reply. Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      27 KB
      Views:
  2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I can't tell from the picture, but it's either 12.1" or 14.1" - those are the only sizes it came in.

3. Capitol P macrumors newbie

4. California macrumors 68040

California

The way you can tell is the 14" iBooks have room on the side of the keyboards.

12" have no palmrest area on the side of the keyboards.

Swapping screens is no big deal on iBooks. Just go slow and don't lose anything. You may need the rib frame swapped.

5. mac.doc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys

So what would be the cheapest way to replace this? Is it safe to get a replacement on say ebay? or is there a better site? Also are there directions? any recommendations?

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You need to buy a 14" LCD panel off ebay. They can be found for cheap. I've changed many of them and is pretty easy. You can use a 14" panel from either a G3 or G4 they are both completely interchangeable. All you do is remove the top cover which is held on with 4 torx screws. The LCD panel is held on with 6 small Philips screws, 3 on each side. Disconnect the inverter and the LVD cable and put in the new one. Check out ifixit.com if you need a complete guide with pictures.

Just remember it's easier to replace just the panel then the whole display assembly as you have to pretty much dismantle the whole iBook.

Here you go, take your pick ~~~~> http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=14...13&_odkw=14"+ibook+lcd+-battery+-ac&_osacat=0

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Measure the screen diagonally from one corner to the other (ie. top left to bottom right). That's the size of the screen.

It does look like a 14.1 though. I had the 12.1, and the keyboard was much closer to the sides.

8. mac.doc thread starter macrumors newbie