iBook G4 shuts off when bumped

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacDaddy08, Jul 24, 2008.

1. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I have this iBook G4 and the wierdest thing is happening. When it is on and you bump it or move it a little it just shuts off like a hard shut down. Has anyone else out there heard of this problem or does anyone know how to fix it? Taking it completely apart is no problem so whatever you can suggest will be helpful.

TIA

2. GlassOgnion macrumors member

I had a iBook G3 1.33 that I opened up to replace the internal modem and when I reassembled it the iBook was booting just fine but was shutting down if i moved it. Finally I found out that I shorted out the top case power plug cable with one of the long bottom case screw during the reassembling. I don't know if you ever opened your iBook but if you did check it out.

3. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

ok figured it out...

sorry i didn't post this a few days ago when I fixed it.

The problem was the hard drive was loose inside the iBook. I remembered that Macs turn off automatically when a shock is felt to avoid damaging the hard drive. When I replaced the hard drive in this iBook I noticed that I wasn't the first one the open it up. The previous person had actually taped the hard drive caddy onto the hard drive instead of screwing it in. How this was working before I have no idea. So I replaced the tape with hard drive screws and got it nice and secure. When I put everything back together it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the reply though.