iBook G4 slows down & hard drive space disappears

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by midiperc, Mar 24, 2010.

1. midiperc macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a iBook G4, 1.33 1.5Mb ram with 10.4.11.
    I have an issue that after awhile (1-2 hours) the computer slows down and I sometimes get a message saying that my available memory is low and should quit applications. When I start up I have about 10 Gb. When I don't get that message, I usually have to force quit the computer with the power button. It's seems like something is running in the background, but when I check the Force Quit Application screen - nothing unusual shows.
    The hard drive is new and upgraded to a 160Gb (from a 40Gb) about 4 months ago.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

What does your Activity Monitor app show? anything suspicious there?

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well, what apps are you using exatly? And also, did you install any 3rd party software on the computer that might run in the backround? If the problem doesn't go away try re-installing.

By the way, you might get more responses if you post on a Pre-Intel Mac forum, since your on a G4. Try Classic Mac: http://classicmac.freeforums.org/index.php

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Most likely virtual memory is eating up those 10GB. As I recall Mac OS X likes at least 20GB free for VM. You will either need to free up space or get a larger hard drive. I would recommend getting a larger model since you will likely fill up the drive again. Unfortunately the iBook uses ATA-6 hard drives which are more expensive than SATA models. But you can currently get a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue for $95 off Newegg.com.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

10GB should be enough for virtual memory unless some app is going nuts.

OP, we need more info. Apps running, amount of VM used, etc. Start with Activity Monitor screen shots when it happens.

6. midiperc thread starter macrumors newbie

slow iBook...

I'll check it out when I get home. I've had to force quit Firefox a few times when this has happened and I belive I upgraded this a few weeks ago also. Nothing else new has been installed in a few months.

Thanks