iBook G4 Software Update Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gripskee, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Gripskee macrumors newbie

Gripskee

so here is what i've got:

Machine Name: iBook G4
    Machine Model: PowerBook6,5
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.2 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 256 MB
    Bus Speed: 133 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.8.7f1
    Serial Number: 4H5253C2RCQ

Now...i'm having a lot of trouble finding a way to upgrade to the next best thing, and i dont even know what that is...but im assuming it is OS X 10.5 or something of that sort, anyways...im running 10.4.11 right now, and i have no idea how to find and update to any of this, and the reason im looking to update to 10.5 is so that i can update again to 10.5.8...i need a walkthrough or something because i have no idea what to do haha. im hoping somebody could send me a link to a free download for 10.5 by chance..? idk im new to apple systems so i have no clue about anything haha. help?

2. JAT macrumors 603

On the off chance that this is a real post....

You have to buy upgrades when software has a major upgrade. Going from 10.4 to 10.5 is a major upgrade.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Correct. Any 10.x update is a paid update. The 10.4.x (or 10.5.x or whatever) updates are free.

Also, to get 10.5 you'll need at least 512mb of RAM. On that G4 you probably have the 256 (or possibly 128 if you've added some or purchased it with an upgrade) built in, and you'll be able to add at least another 512mb (or replace the 128mb chip with one if that exists).

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

On a G4 iBook, I'd stick with Tiger. Leopard never ran well on my iBook even with 1.5 GB of RAM. Not to mention you're gonna have a hard time finding a reasonably priced copy of 10.5.

5. Gripskee thread starter macrumors newbie

Gripskee

thanks, appreciate the help. im just sticking to Tiger. but now im having trouble finding schoolhouse software that i could actually get for my ibook, all the old software was replaced with the new which requires os x 10.5 or later...laaaame.