iBook G4 speaker problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Zotaccian, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

So, another iBook. Left speaker does not work and what is more surprising is the fact that right speaker does not mute when headphones are plugged in, sound is heard from both the headphones and right speaker. With headphones both channels work and it is not just balance setting being all to right.

I have tried all the resets, including those in open firmware. This machine already has defective AP slot so I removed whole card and use USB dongle. I wouldn't be surprised if this audio thing is just another HW problem"

Any thoughts?

Edit: 2005 12" machine.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is a hardware problem. In PowerPC Macs the switch between headphones and internal speakers is hardware based in the headphone jack. You could try cleaning the jack or replacing it.

3. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Probably need to replace it, if I wish to fix it. I tried to wiggle the headphones connector while toggling volume at the same but nothing changed, speakers wouldn't mute nor would the left speaker output anything. Couldn't find any headphone jacks for iBook from ebay so I guess I will not even try to fix it, even if I would find a replacement it is pain in the *ss to disassemble these, simply because those fragile power and speaker connectors on the motherboard, there is already bad connection between the power switch cable and its connector on the motherboard, I had to resort to a very crude fix to make the power switch to even work.

So maybe I'll let this be the way it is.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I had this happen on my 1Ghz 17" PowerBook. Sound came through both speakers and headphones at the same time. On the 17" PowerBook it's the sound board, located on the left side (i.e., the sound jacks). I replaced it with one I found on eBay and it's been fine since.

5. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

It is difficult to look inside the jack but nothing seems to be wrong. There are these metal clips and I suppose on of the them should mute the speakers? Or couple it be that he solder connections have gone bad? I could try to resolder just in case since that does not need much disassembling.

I also found an article where someone apparently used very sharp tipped soldering iron and actually fixed that Airport slot by carefully resoldering each of those tiny "legs", so apparently it can be fixed.

6. www139 macrumors newbie

How did you fix your power switch? I ask because I recently acquired an iBook G4 (late 2005) in the trash. I got it working but, in the process, I broke the power button connector off the motherboard. It's been a few months (since I've been busy with school). The connector is missing. I now have the two wires. I'm scared to solder the wires because the metal terminals on the logic board are so darn close together. I have near zero experience with soldering though that will probably change over Christmas break.

My left speaker seems to work but the right one doesn't play. That was what led me to this forum. I'll inspect it for damage. I have a volt meter which I'll use.

The battery is also shot. Do you know where I can find a replacement battery for less than $10?

Thanks. Sorry to open this thread again and for the flood of questions. I've spent hours getting this thing to run. I have it working but I'm not making it a usable machine.

7. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I've had this happen on my iBook. Not the exact problem, but close. The system didn't seem to know that there even were speakers half the time, and when they did work they would make a clicking noise. My guess is it's a hardware problem, as others have suggested, so maybe replacing the speakers would be a good idea.

EDIT: Or drop your iBook on the floor. My problems ended when I accidentally dropped it. Seriously. :)

ANOTHER EDIT: If you break your iBook while dropping it I'm not responsible. Don't blame me if something bad happens.

8. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Sounds like you had dirt in your jack