iBook G4 sporadic temperature readings

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Jul 11, 2014.

1. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

So today I installed my 32 GB SSD and replaced the thermal pads on the GPU and CPU, and everything was working decently until the CPU temps began spiking. They reported as being around 150 which is a little under the highest I've seen them before, and then went as high as 170 fahrenheit. The GPU has stayed around 140 however. Then I looked at the SMART temp monitor on the SSD. 180 F. Way above its operating temp. Is this at all accurate? The iBook doesn't feel hotter than 140-50, but both Temperature Monitor and iStat Menus report it is higher. Temp monitor reports around 5 degrees lower than istat, but still. Does anyone know what's going on? I haven't encountered any freezes or shut downs at all. The fans turn on around 165 (as reported by istat) and go to near full blast around 170. I thought they turned on at 154, as seen by previous experience by me.. very odd. Any help would be appreciated

2. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

The odd temp readings seem to have stopped, but only occur on very high usage levels. I had installed all updates for Leopard and installed some other programs that I guess were resource intensive, and perhaps it did get above 160* F. As for the SSD, I think the SMART temp sensor is just messed up. Here is a screenshot after 5-10 minutes of normal usage:

Attached Files:

3. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Hrmm, I read a thread online stating that SSDs do not have actual temperature monitors, because they are completely solid state of course and are supposed to be cool. Thus I guess my random SMART readings that make no sense. Can anyone back up the fact that SSDs do not have temp monitors?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

SSDs often don't have a reliable temperature sensor or any sensor at all. That's rather normal for a SSD.

5. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Alrighty. Looking at the SMART temp readings for the SSD through iStat, it seems to have a pattern of four temps. 133, 142, 154, and 156. Those are the only four I've seen, it took me a while to notice this.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If it changes there are two things it may be. It could either have a bad zero baseline or it has a short range that causes it to loop. My guess is, a bad zero baseline. There's also the small chance that it is reporting the correct value, but you'd be able to feel a very warm spot over the SSD if that were the case.

7. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

I shoved the drive into my PBG4 because it has a built in HD temp monitor, and it reports the temp as around 110* whereas the SSD reports it as near 150*. I also noticed something else rather bizarre. My iBook was having random fan revs and iStat said the CPU temp would randomly spike to near 150*. When I put my PBs HDD into my iBook this stopped, but now my PB has the weird spikes and fan revs. I have no idea what's going on, but is it possible that the freshly installed OS is reading the temp monitors wrong, causing the fans to rev up high, and report the temps as high as they are?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is not very likely that Mac OS X is reading the sensors incorrectly unless they are malfunctioning.

9. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx