iBook G4 stops recognizing RAM slot...what's the issue?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by worldwearyeyes, Dec 6, 2007.

1. worldwearyeyes macrumors regular

Initially it would intermittently not recognize the RAM that was in the 2nd slot (not the on-board ram). Now it does not recognize the 2nd RAM slot at all. I know it's not the stick, as we've put different sticks in to test.

Any ideas what the issue would be?

2. chharmon macrumors newbie

Same issue

My girlfriend got a second hand iBook G4 that had been through a quite a bit before she got it.

A few months after she got it, the computer slowed down considerably. Granted it still had old files tucked away in the Library from the previous user and she was using up the computers 30 GB pretty fast but it was abnormally slow. I checked it out and saw that it was only recognizing the factory installed 512MB RAM chip. We discussed getting a 1 GB chip to max it out but a few weeks later it started running faster again after an update and a restart so we left it alone.

I decided to take a look at how much RAM it was running a bit later because I had forgotten the type of chip. When I checked in the "About This Mac" it said it was running on the full 1.5 GB. I was shocked and checked the RAM chip itself, taking all the precautions to avoid static, and there was already a 1 GB chip in there!

That was about 6 months ago and the computer is doing it again. It is reporting a failure in the Memory slot itself on the power on self test too. I checked the position of the chip to make sure it is secure but the computer doesn't seem to be recognizing the memory slot properly at all.

I am going to do Apple's Hardware Test and see if that helps!

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

There is already a know problem with the Powerbook G4 and it's failing lower memory slot. Apple used to fix this(and only way to) is by replacing the logic board. I think they stopped this repair program a few years ago so you're out of luck now.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

OrangSVTguy

I'm finally sending off that old iBook G4 logic board to the people in Arizona who fix them.

They also fix the faulty ram chip problem in PowerBook G4s.

Didn't know it was happening in iBooks...

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Found someone on ebay offering that service. They are cheaper than that place in Arizona. $35 and they claim to have a 100% effective fixed rate. They also offer a 12 month warranty. I might try them out if I get another another G3 iBook down the road...

http://cgi.ebay.com/iBook-G3-Logic-...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50