ibook G4 Trouble!!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G1ng3r, Apr 8, 2011.

1. G1ng3r macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I got an ibook g4 one of those late 2004 models last year and have never looked at another laptop. it was a hand-me down, but one of the best things i have ever owned i love it with all my heart but i am facing a battery problem, it says 0%, icon says charged and the charger is green... the day before it charged up to 5% the icon was showing red (kinda like running on reserve) but i used it for 3 hours before it died on me... but the situation has deteriorated to 0%????
    Plus i have a space issue, i always get one of those 'your start up disk is almost messages' especially when i use photoshop... i wanted to verify the disk but turns out it cant be done in panther???
    HELP!!!!!!
    P.s; i am from a small country where going to a mac store which i only one, would demand my liver... i need to assess the situation before i can sell my liver... a mac is worth it!!!

2. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Try to reset your PRAM, apple+option+P+R at startup untill you hear the second chime, then make sure your hd has at least 10% of free space of its overall capacity, why don't you upgrade to tiger or even leopard if you have enough ram?

3. G1ng3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about getting tiger, but i figured leopard is better, but its really expensive and with the trouble my ibook is causing me, i want to make sure its still good before i invest this money.
    Could be old age??
    How do i know if its crashing??
    How do i verify my disk, that option is kind of invalid in disk utility???

4. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Go into Disk Utility and highlight your disk, check the SMART status, if it doens't say verified then you can start of thinking replacing it.