iBook G4 upgrade HDD and to 10.5 Leopard simultaneously?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MrWozza70, Mar 19, 2011.

1. MrWozza70 macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently got my old G4 iBook [12"] back from my father as I upgraded him to MacBook. It is a 1.33Ghz model with 1.5Gb of RAM installed.

Anyway, been using the little white wonder and think it is well worth trying to upgrade and keep to use as a handy 2nd machine for web browsing etc.

My question:

I would like to upgrade the internal HDD drive [I know it is not to be under estimated - i'm fine with the screws, case etc] and at the same time do a new install of Leopard 10.5 on this hard drive. I have no need to migrate any data or software from the existing Tiger install on the current HDD.

1. Is this possible or recommended i.e. simultaneously.
    2. How do I make the iBook boot when I put the new clean HDD in the machine and install from the leopard CD/DVD?
    3. Any recommendations for a compatible fast HDD - not too bothered by noise [the current one is very noisy anyway].

Many thanks to you for any help.

2. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

1. Yes. 100% possible.

2. When you boot the first time after installing the new HD simply insert the Leo install DVD right away and either hold down C or just wait for it to see the DVD on it's own which only takes an extra 20-30 seconds. It will then boot from the DVD and allow you to format the drive and install the OS.

3. There is no such thing as a compatible HD as they are all compatible as long as it's the proper connector which is IDE in the iBook G4. Any current 7200rpm 2.5" HD will be noticeably faster than the stock drive which would be 4200rpm in that model. I personally prefer Hitachi when it comes to 2.5".

Have you taken an Ibook apart before? I just want to be sure you're up to the job and don't damage it as you don't seem to understand basic OS install techniques and that all drives are Mac compatible.

If you need more help just ask and it also never hurts to do a google search or 3 for ibook drive install guides. I can email you the pdf service manual if you want which has step by step guides to assembling and disassembling every part in the computer.

3. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

I'll second what zen.state said, but at Western Digital as another decent brand for drives of that size.

This is a guide from iFixit, a website that has saved my ass more time than I can count when it comes to taking Apple laptops apart. It's not entirely intuitive, but modestly straightforward provided you take your time. I also recommend keeping an empty egg carton on hand for all the screws.

Good luck!

4. jchase2057 macrumors regular

As far as apple laptops go the ibook is no treat to work with. Its worth the upgrade as ive done it myself to my old ibook but i too am concerned that you might not be up to the task. Either way i say go for it. No risk no reward. Just dont lose the little rectangle magnet located by your disc drive. It puts the computer to sleep when closed and was not easy to find a replacement. Other than that id take zen up on his offer and have at it.

5. MrWozza70 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies - absolutely superb response:)

Honestly, I'm pretty capable when it comes to upgrades - just not that familiar with installing new os images on mac kit (I unfortunately have to work with windows).

I've actually moved on in the last 15 minutes as I found my leopard install discs which I thought I'd lost so installing Leo on the old drive for now.

Still intend to do the hdd upgrade - the. Main reason for the questions about compatible was that I had a concern that with 10.5 or the power pc processor that their may be a max recognised size or something. As I'm not bothered about capacity for this machine I'll hunt down a hitachi wi largest cache and speed for the money.

If you think I've missed anything let me know.

Cheers for now...

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

There is no drive size limitation on ibook G4's or any later PowerPC Macs. Anything from late 2002 on is safe.