ibook g4 upgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gsethi, Oct 29, 2013.

1. gsethi macrumors newbie

Hi

i want to upgrade my ibook g4!

having specs -: 1.42 ghz power pc g4, 512mb built in ram, 14 inch, 60 gb hard disk

Can i load OS Leopard ? and i want to upgrade the ram to max possible.

I have seen few sellers on ebay for ram upgrade, but dont know which model to buy.

Please advise.

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

You can install Leopard, it requires 867mhz G4 and 512mb ram minimum. Your iBook uses PC2700 / 333MH DDR SDRAM SO-DIMM -modules, 400MHz should also work unless there are some suprising general incompatiblities with certain ram sticks.

3. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Throw in two SSDs, put them in raid 0. Put in 1GB stick of RAM. Send me pics of motherboard, I might figure out a CPU overclock. Install ATIccelarator II and make the GPU speedy.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is all overkill. gsethi, do what Zotaccian has suggested.

5. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

+1

6. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Overclocking would be overkill, so would RAID be, but I just finished installing an SSD into my powerbook and I love this.

I used a MicroSata SSD (M500-32GB- 40 USD) with an adapter, and is is awesome! I also installed ATICCELERATOR and I find it does make it a little bit snappier.

7. gsethi thread starter macrumors newbie

suggestions needed

Hi Zotaccian,

thanks for the help and suggestions, can u please suggest good brand or the specs for the RAM, and will i be able to install it on my own.

regards

8. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Well I don't have any spesific recommendations, here where I live Kingston is often hailed as "the best" memory maker but that I think more based on their lifetime warranty which they advertise. When buying parts for old computer I buy used parts and price determines my choice, unless I know that certain ram stick is not compatible. Hynix is also one ram maker which I see very often, I think it has been the most common atleast with all the laptops I have dealed with.

So, sorry I can't recommend anything since I don't have opinions about ram makers. There are some ram models marketed for Macs so I think those should then be compatible for what they are advertised, however if I can find same capacity sitck with same speed cheaper I will buy that instead of that "Mac ram".

9. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

RAM is very easy to install. RAM is RAM, no brand is better than other at stock speed.

10. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Actually, while the speed of the ram might be the same. Cheap ram is never a good idea, cheap ram is more prone to failure.

11. ktvchangge macrumors newbie

+1 .This is all overkill. gsethi, do what Zotaccian has suggested.[​IMG]