iBook G4 - Volume and Brightness Stopped Working

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SkippyThorson, Aug 10, 2009.

1. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Up until this morning, F1 - F5 have been Brightness and Volume controls, as they have been since I got the thing. I go to use the Volume, and it doesn't work. I then try the Brightness, and it doesn't work. F6 - F12 all work just fine, which leads me to believe that iBook had a brain fart.

My volume balance has always altered itself. Balancing itself out of one speaker left or right as it so chooses. I know it's smart, but now it's just screwing with me. Settings go and change on their own, dock icons have switched, bit this one has stumped me. How do I get those hardware function keys back to doing what they're there to do?

No, no one uses this but me. Yes, it is haunted.

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

try keyboard preferences in system preferences. there should be an option somwhere to use all media keys as standard function keys. make sure that it is not checked.

3. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Nope, thats not it. Tried it too many times to count. I'm still stumped.

Update:
    I tried it with an App called Rowmote, that lets you control your Mac from your iPhone, with Apple Remote-like control, and the volume won't change using that either.
    Also, it makes clicking sounds, as if it were changing slowly and glitchy (which it did sometimes anyhow) when using the Volume slider in the menu bar.