iBook G4 .vs. iMac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mrzeve, Apr 19, 2007.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I am currently typing this on an iBook G4 with the following stats:

1.07 GHz PowerPC G4
    512 MB DDR SDRAM
    Samsung 60GB disk
    12" screen
    No bluetooth
    Has airport
    CDRW

I am looking to do a straight up trade (I will also get about 50 in cash) for the following iMac G4

1GHz
    768 MB memory
    17" viewable, adjustable tilt widescreen flatpanel LCD screen
    1440 x 900 resolution
    32-bit color
    Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 105

I was wondering if I am going to see a performance difference between these two machines and which you would rather own? Forget the fact that the iBook has a benefit of being a portable, I will be buying a Macbook this summer for college anyway.

Any advice would be great!

FYI: I use it for typical things, such as web design, adobe, itunes, word processing, etc. I have a Mac Mini with a 20" screen as my primary computer. I just love the iMac for being so good looking.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The iMac can use regular 3.5" hard drives so I see that as a benefit. I dunno what speed it'll have inside, but it'll be easier and cheaper to get a faster and larger hard drive into the iMac. Disregarding portability (as you say), I reckon the iMac's probably better. Real world differences will only be tiny though.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If you already have a Mac Mini as your main desktop computer, wouldn't keeping the iBook be advantageous since its a laptop and you can take it with you. I'd rather have one desktop and one laptop over two desktops anyday.

4. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chances are I will sell the Mac Mini and use the iMac as my primary until college starts. I decided I am going to get a 1.25ghz rather then a 1ghz, and considering the iMac has a faster drive then the mini, I am okay with using it as my primary.

But now the dilema is the screen size.

I am going to dual screen my Dell 20" 2005FPW with the iMac screen. But will the Dell 20" dwarf the 17" screen of the iMac? I need a visual of what they would look like next to each other.

Cause two 20inch screens would be amazing, but the 20inch iMacs are so hard to come by.