Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyFL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Went home over the holidays and set-up a wireless network to accomodate a "new" (refurb'd) iBook G4 for my mother. Long story short, but didn't have the AP card for the iBook so I was unable to fully set it up. The card for the iBook just came today and my dad put it in but was having trouble finding the network. I had him go into the office, where the APX is located, to tell me how many bars he was getting --> TWO! What the heck? Less than 5 ft away from the APX and he's getting two bars? So of course when he goes to the other side of the house, the signal is gone. Mind you, my MPB was seeing the network just fine from the same location. What gives? Is the antenna on the iBook that much inferior? Is there a setting that needs to be adjusted?

And yes I do realize an Airport Express is not really ideal serving as THE only router -- but that doesn't seem to be where the issue is, as my MBP saw the network in other rooms of the house. Something seems to be different about the iBook..... Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.