iBook G4 won't charge

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G4TheWin, Sep 15, 2013.

1. G4TheWin macrumors member

My iBook G4 just won't charge the battery. System Profiler and coconutBattery both report that it should work, but it doesn't. The menu bar says that it's at 0%, and displays a plug. The power jack turns amber for a second, and then goes to green. I've tried resetting the NVRAM, the PRAM, and the PMU, but that hasn't fixed anything. What I want to know is, what went wrong, and is there any way to fix it without paying money?

2. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Most likely the battery has crapped out on you. Had the same symptoms on my PBG4. New battery and it was good to go.

3. G4TheWin thread starter macrumors member

But the battery only has about 80 cycles on it! Aren't they supposed to be good for 400 cycles or something? Also, after reseating the battery it appears to be charging. More info will be added as it's received by my eyes.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Could be the DC In board. They have funny symptoms. I've had multiple issues with that with my 1.67Ghz Mac. It shows the same thing right now as your's does. I just haven't gotten around to swapping the other DC In board I have for it back in.

The battery is good too and yes, around 400 cycles is about what you should expect.

5. G4TheWin thread starter macrumors member

I remember reading somewhere that if you pull out a battery for 12 seconds, put it in for five, and repeat, you'd be able to revive the battery. I did this, and now it's creeped up to 1%. Stay tuned for more updates.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The cycle count is rather pointless for these types of things. I've had a battery with 5 cycle counts do the same thing. It refused to charge above 4%. It was replaced and the new battery worked correctly.

7. DaKKs macrumors 6502

You have to take the battery's age into account also. Lets face it, the iBook is no spring chicken by any stretch of the imagination. Even it it was barely used, (80 cycles is nothing after all), the cells will degrade with age, internal circuitry will degrade also. A laptop battery is dying from the day it leaves the factory.

I'm surprised it lasted this long.

8. MrPilot, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

MrPilot macrumors 6502

there might be some broken resistor/transistor in the main logic board or dc in board (like eyoungren said)...see if anything looks burnt or broken. The resistors are quite small so look carefully.

A new logic or DC-in board costs more than the computer usually, but transistors a few bucks

9. G4TheWin thread starter macrumors member

I got it from eBay a few months ago. It should work fine! Also, to the people who think that the DC in board is at fault, it has charged up to 2%, before stopping, so it's not that.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your battery is dead. The charging to ~2-4% then stop charging is a sign that the battery's internal circuit can no longer read the battery's condition. You have to replace the battery or fix the internal circuitry.

11. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Well in that case.... You battery is still dead. Clones are notoriously unreliable. Its a hit or miss when you buy batteries on ebay. The clone battery in my powerbook has worked fine for over a year, where the one in my macbook and thinkpad lasted 2 and 1 months, respectively.

12. G4TheWin thread starter macrumors member

I also found an Apple OEM battery that came with the machine, and appears to have only 36 cycles in it. It was obtained by the original owner in November 2008, according to the sticker on it. However, it seems to discharge as well as charge extremely quickly. Anything I can do with that?

13. California macrumors 68040

California

DC in board most likely. Unplug it without battery for a few minutes. Then do the PRAM reset, see what happens, holding down the power button until you get the beeps.

Actually not a big deal to get a new dc in. Upgrade hard drive and optical drive to while you have it open.