Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eightbitgamer757

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Idaho
I never got a new hdd, still the same 20gb ive had since i got it, but tomorrow when its not 11pm i will try what you have suggested, thanks

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
Lets be clear, no iBook is going to give blistering performance, if you want Facebook or a modern browsing experience look elsewhere.
My iBook is fantastic for carrying around and writing, the battery life is great and keyboard is pretty good as well. Plus it supports WPA2, which my old Pismo doesn't. Parts aren't to expensive to come by and the iBook isn't THAT hard to service unlike some other Apple machines.

Like many on here, I like using old macs and not discarding them simply because they can't handle the bloat that is now the internet. I actually like the fact that facebook is a no go, because it means I have no excuse for not getting on with my work. When you have writers block you'll do anything to avoid actually writing, which only makes things worse.

So yeah, sitting in a coffee shop with my bluetooth headphones on, listening to music off my iBook while getting on with work ain't so bad :)

If you want a distraction free device, which you can use for writing, coding, art, then an iBook will fit the bill. I only started using a G4 15" Powerbook because I needed the bigger screen for design work.

Reactions: AphoticD

Eightbitgamer757

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Idaho
Should i use LibreOffice or iLife for an office suite on the ibook? ill probly use Libreoffice because i need the ability to open microsoft office files. My lil' Ibook will probly make a better portable than my 14.1" Latitude(which i use alot, but its battery has lost its ability to hold a charge any longer than 15mins.)

Eightbitgamer757

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Idaho
I think LibreOffice will suffice, and also, a important question, should i use Leopard or Tiger? It did have tiger but i have everything necessary to run leopard

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
The rule I play by is not to run the latest OS supported by the system, sure it might say it supports it, but it might also run like a athlete through treacle. I've used Tiger on my iBook for years without any issue. Unless there's is a good reason to run Leapard, I'd advise keeping with Tiger. That way your nothing pushing the system, less call on resources, CPU isn't running up all the time, more battery life.

Eightbitgamer757

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Idaho
I have one that was barely used (i think less than 100 cycles), so battery, RAM, and a cool painted top lid will definitely go into the 'Book

Reactions: Haemoglobin

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I second going with Tiger. I used to have Leopard on my iBook, but after installing Tiger I've found that it's faster. Leopard seems to quite a bit better on PowerBooks for me, possibly because they have more powerful graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.