iBook g4... Worth it to upgrade to MacBook??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Shanewilliams, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I've had my iBook g4(my 3rd one actually) since 2005. I bought it brand new and i've enjoyed many great years out of it! Well, I finally got my income tax return and for about the past month everyday I've been checking out apples site to see what they had listed in refurbished macbooks. As much as I want to have a MacBook, I really can't think of a good enough reason to justify $849 for it. I pretty much just surf the web on it, type a document up every now and then. That's basically it! The only thing I've noticed that a MacBook would be good for is I race radio control cars and all the software to update the speed controller is windows based so I would be able to update my software without having to borrow a computer. I guess what I'm really wanting to know is, is there really that big if a difference for your casual user between the iBook and the MacBook? If I could find a windows emulator for my iBook g4 I wouldn't even be here asking this question as my iBook would then meet all my needs. Someone please justify my buying a MacBook! Actually, I'd jump online and order it now if it was soley my decision but the wife is the one who keeps saying "we are fine with what we have" let me also throw this out there, right now they have the 13in MacBook for $849 and the MacBook pro for $999, is the MacBook pro worth the extra $150? From what I see it just adds a sd slot and FireWire. Is there something else that I'm missing? Thanks!

2. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    jump to the MacBook - you won't believe the difference in speed between a G4 and a current Intel processor especially as you'll have Snow Leopard which flies.
    as for the $150 diff between the white MB and the Al MBPro - again worth the extra if you're not a fan of white plastic. (the base model MBPRo is same-same specs as the white MB except it has a smaller HDD 160gb v 250gb).
    that said, the aluminium MB Pro just 'feels' som much nicer that the white plastic of the MB.
    my son is about to go from a G3 iMac to the 13" MBPro and he's toying with going for the 2.53 model for the extra memory and faster processor for a further $150.
    his reasoning is that with the sweeter machine he just may get back into video editing like he used to be in the past.

hope this doesn't muddy the waters for you too much!