Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bono2Beagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Help! So when I start up my ibook. Before it goes to the home screen i get a file folder with a flashing question mark that turns into a smiling face. It only lasts a few seconds and then everything runs normally. Should I be concerned? Can I make this go away?

evanXXbuddenboh

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
i dont think so

Help! So when I start up my ibook. Before it goes to the home screen i get a file folder with a flashing question mark that turns into a smiling face. It only lasts a few seconds and then everything runs normally. Should I be concerned? Can I make this go away?

i dont think you should really be concerned. but all i know about the question mark/ folder is that it is a kernel panic. thats all i know about it, but if it is something that is continuous i would contact technical support or i would take it to a genius bar

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
i dont think you should really be concerned. but all i know about the question mark/ folder is that it is a kernel panic. thats all i know about it, but if it is something that is continuous i would contact technical support or i would take it to a genius bar

It's not a kernel panic.
It's just the mac looking for the system on your hard drive. Once he find it the question mark turn to the smiling face. You should be concerned if the question mark would not disappear, but then your ibook would not boot at all.

Go into System Preferences, and choose Startup Disk. Choose the folder that says Mac OS X. Then click Restart. Does it do it again?

As suggested by Apple here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1440?viewlocale=en_US

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
For some reason, my iMac G5 did this too, sometimes. But it always booted like it should and I never ever had any problems after booting.
My brother owns this iMac now and it still doesn't show any issues.

So if this is the only thing that happens (and your disk doesn't start making weird/clicking noises or anything like that) I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.