iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dazzzey, Sep 26, 2008.

1. dazzzey macrumors newbie

My daughter's laptop has been given her problems, first it was the logic board went bad, Apple said that it would cost $750.00 to replace it, ofcourse I did not fix it with Apple, a guy fixed it for $250.00, now the power supply that does not have the magnet like the new ones, a piece from the circle in the power supply broke off and it stayed inside the hole in the power on the computer, I took it to apple and ofcourse they cannot remove the piece from inside the computer, I was told that the computer iBook needed a new mother board that would cost me $740.00

Is there any one out there that is had the same problem? Because this is a defect from Apple, they should not be making parts that come off and costs the consumer so much to fix when it actually its their fault.

Need feed back this could be a class action law suit.

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have used three different iBook G4's and none have had a problem with power cord, except for the cord tearing near the connector and showing some bare wire- which was not a defect but wear and tear and abuse of the cord.

None of the three have had logic board issues- however many at my school have had problems with the logic board at around 4 years old though...not that it is right, but it happens I guess.

Sorry to hear you had issues with yours.

3. CTJoyce macrumors member

I have now had my last generation iBook G4 12" for a couple years, and had no problems with the logic board what so ever. Two of my close friends who also bought iBooks at the same time have also had no trouble with their logic boards. My guess is that like with all electronics you had various issues. My problem with apple is that they charge you just to open it up to find out what the problem is, then charge you as much as they possibly can because there are so few licensed apple repair centers around, therefore if you go anywhere else for repair you "void your warranty." Unless you got apple care with your iBook at this point, warranty is over.

Do yourself a favor in the future and hit up www.ifixit.com and replace things yourself instead of bringing it to apple so they can gouge your wallet.

Cheers
    Cameron

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Strange! You can buy an DC inboard for like under $10 on ebay and change that part out yourself. I've sold quite a few of them on this site for just a few bucks. Like the previous poster said, check out ifixit.com for the guide. It's an easy job to do. All you have to do is remove the bottom case and heat shield. Disconnect the cable and there is one screw holding the dc in board to the frame. You could easily change it out in 30-45 minutes. Good luck.