iBook g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Arukai, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Arukai macrumors newbie

Hi, im new to macs and i need advice. My friend and his family are all mac users and ever since ive stood with him ive wanted a mac but i cant afford a macbook(most i can prolly spend at this point is 500) Ive been programming for a while now and i jsut got an iphone and wnat to get the iphone SDK and was wondering if it would be a good idea to get an Ibook G4? Ive found one that used for 300 that has 1.2gb ram, 30gb internal HDD, internal combo drive, internal 56k modem, airport extreme, certified pre-owned with 90 day warranty, os 10.4.11 and classic installed. My moms husband has the osx leopard discs from when he bought his macbook. Should I buy this? Advice? Please and thank you!

-Arc

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Original disks are tied to the type of machine so his MacBook disks won't work. I would save a bit more money and look for a MacBook.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

As far as I know, you cannot run the iPhone SDK on a Mac with a PPC processor (You would need a MacBook or something else Intel.)

But beyond that, they are still great machines, and that's a pretty good deal you listed for one.

4. fergwad macrumors newbie

As a fellow IBook G4 owner, a couple issues to think about:

The 30gb hard drive is a bit on the small side. A decent amount of programs, music, and that thing is full in no time. I had a 80gb and maxed it out a long time ago.

Depending on the processor speed, you may have trouble smoothly viewing and/or streaming any video content over 480p. I think the IBook G4s had, at best, a 32mb graphics card. Sometimes I can't even get hulu to not be all choppy with their "high res" 480p stuff.

5. Arukai thread starter macrumors newbie

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you want to do iPhone apps, yes since it won't run the SDK. You will need to find a MacBook.

7. Arukai thread starter macrumors newbie

Some guys got it running on a g4 http://3by9.com/85/ And as for space i have an 300gb external hdd that I keep all my music and movies on along with my pictures etc

-Arc

8. Arukai thread starter macrumors newbie

I think my friends dad (the one from the family that made me want a mac) has a copy of the retail discs, would that work?

9. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

It would, but you would then breach the EULA.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. Arukai thread starter macrumors newbie

so should i buy the iBook G4 and buy a copy of Leopard??

12. Arukai thread starter macrumors newbie

the powerbook g4 is better right? Also i found a macbook for 600, if i can manage to get the money I plan on getting it

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The MacBook will be the best deal. The new OS coming out later this year probably won't run on a G4 machine.

14. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Wait a bit and get the macbook. The intel chip alone is worth waiting for.

I know this is a bit beyond your price point but... http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB881LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw
    is a very very good deal. That will last you for 3+years running current software.
    I don't know your financial situation, but I would spend 1 month more working a summer job to save for this.

15. Arukai thread starter macrumors newbie

A girl is going to sell me a macbook for 675 if i can get the money in two weeks. Its two years old, was used for school. 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo, 2gb ram, 160gb sata hdd, 8x double layer super drive, intel gma950. good deal?

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If its a GMA950, its not a 2.4GHz. Probably 2.0 but that's OK if its in good condition. Price it out on mac2sell.net as a rough guide.

17. Arukai thread starter macrumors newbie

alrite im going to get it but i need to sell my Inspiron 1318. Does anyone know where i can do that??